[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Peace is Only for Fools - Part 2

A Saint Seiya x Tokyo Babylon fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





"So... I'd like you to tell me again how you found the body... This time including how and why you killed the poor guy..."

I leaned back against the chair, closing my eyes and sighing.

"No offense, officer, but I believe I told you twice already. And I didn't kill him."

I fought my anger with difficulty. This closed room and its heavy atmosphere of cigarette had given me a terrible headache. I had the feeling I had been sitting on this chair for hours. Always telling the same story, always getting the same smile from the police officer...

"So you say..."

I was exhausted, I wanted nothing more than a place to lie down and sleep, to forget all this nonsense and wake up in a place I knew... In a world in which I belonged... I shook my head, saying in a strained voice :

"Yes. So I say. Tell me, officer, what was I to do with a dead body ? Dump it under a brush ? Go my way without trying to help ?"

The man's infuriating smile widened.

"Of course not. You did exactly what any good citizen should do... Unfortunately for you, a murderer could easily act the same way to try and appear innocent..."

His smile left his lips as he looked straight at me.

"I fear you're in big trouble my friend. You have no ID we can check, you know no one in this city, you have no money, you have blood all over you, your clothes are in a pitiful state, just as if you had had a fight recently..."

A fight... A bitter laugh escaped my lips. A fight indeed ! Suddenly, I saw the man watching me closely, and shrugged, trying to get a grip on my nerves.

"I told you the truth, Sir. Miss Kido should be able to vouch for me."

He nodded.

"Yes, and your own name is... Kido Shun... Related ?

I abrutply got up, resenting the man, resenting the lastname I had given to myself... Although it was the truth.

"I told you. I was adopted by her grandfather..."

He lit another cigarette.

"One Kido Mistumasa... Deceased you say..."

Suddenly his fists banged on his desk.

"I have had enough of this, hear me ? There is no one in Tokyo by any of those names ! We checked the whole country, and apart from an eighty years-old grandmother and a few children under twelve, there is no Kido Saori. You had better start telling me the truth instead of expecting me to believe your nonsense !"

I turned my back on him and walked slowly to the wall in front of me. As I fought for calm, for control, I thought there was no way I could convince the man... A bitter smile came to my lips. As there was no way I could understand what was happening to me... There was a polite knock on the door.

"Come in..."

I stared blankly at the wall, wondering how soon I would collapse. The police officer was lucky to have me in front of him instead of my brother. Ikki... I sighed and faced the door, to see an old woman come into the room. She was a nondescript type of person, except for her traditional dress and her eyes. The officer immediately bowed to her.

"Lady Sumeragi, I am honoured..."

Sumeragi ? Then... She smiled.

"By a strange twist of fate I happened to be in Tokyo for the moment... And here I am..."

She turned her clear gaze to me and pursed her lips.

"So, this is the so-called murderer of my grandson..."

Her eyes... Like Subaru's, they seemed to pierce through the lies and the defences to gaze directly into the soul.

"You were able to identify the body then, Lady Sumeragi ?"

She ignored the question.

"I need a private room to talk with this young man, officer. Now."

He shook his head.

"Forgive me, but this would be dangerous. This man is..."

She laughed bitterly.

"Ridiculous. I know very well who killed my grandson, officer. And it is not this young man you have exhausted and harassed."

She sat in a chair, and indicated I should do the same. I complied happily and looked at her with curiosity.

"I am the twelfth head of the Sumeragi house. My grandson Subaru was the thirteenth... And it would seem that I have in front of me one he named his successor..."

I had begun to surrender to the drowsiness, but her words brought me fully awake. I shook my head, saying gently, calmly :

"I am sorry about your grandson's death, but you're mistaken about me. I simply found him and went to the police. No more, no less."

She sighed, and for the first time I saw lines of worry and sorrow on her face.

"I do not wish to make it difficult for you young man, but I know Subaru talked to you, called you and..."

Before she could go on, I said :

"That may be. But he was delirious the whole time, he was dying... I do not belong to your family, I know nothing about you and you know nothing about me... What you say is ridiculous... Forgive me if I appear to be rude, but it is the truth."

Suddenly, there was a deep sadness in her eyes.

"You are lost. That much I know. Lost, without hope of ever finding your way back..."

My hands gripped the arms of the chair and squeezed. I winced, as if she had struck me, and shook my head mutely.

"I am sorry my words bring you so much pain, believe me. I wish Subaru had chosen one of our own, he should have... He didn't."

Distantly I felt a burning ache in my chest. Her words echoed in my mind, endlessly. No... It was not possible, it was not true... I shivered, feeling sick. It was too much, too fast. I couldn't bear it anymore... I got up and went to the door. Before opening it, I turned to her and said :

"You don't know what I am... I don't believe in magic, and I don't have it... Onmyoujutsu is gibberish to me. I am sorry, but I will not be part of this. Your clan wars are not my concern."

She shook her head.

"What you believe or what you want is irrelevant. I can feel Subaru's touch on you, and the other will too, eventually. You already are a part of this."

I looked steadily at her, and smiled.

"You'll excuse me if I don't heed your words. I am one who believes Fate can be overcome. Nothing is set. I choose my own destiny."

She lowered her head and sighed wearily.

"I expected this... I know you are no Onmyoujutsu wielder... I understand you better than you think. I wish you to know that we will help you if you require assistance in the future..."

She got up.

"There is a taxi waiting for you downstairs. It will get you to a hotel so you can get some rest. You will find money and new clothes on the back seat. Consider them payment for your time and all the pain this caused you."

During a moment, I thought she was trying to buy my services... But eventually I nodded and opened the door. As I reached the stairs, a whisper came to me.

"Beware of Sakurazukamori. We are willing to let you go... He won't."

I froze.

"Why should your enemy care about me ? I am no one..."

A hand settled gently on my left shoulder.

"You are too much like my poor Subaru... If you're extremely lucky, he will never notice you... But you have Power, even if it is not the Onmyoujutsu magic. That and Subaru's touch will draw him... Once he sees the gentleness in your heart... He is an assassin, a heartless and perfect killer... He doesn't know the meaning of the word feeling..."

Her hand released me.

"I wish you luck, believe me... Thank you for going to Subaru's aid, thank you for staying at his side until the end. Farewell..."

"You don't need to thank me. I'd have done it for anybody."

Suddenly, I began to walk down the stairs, fighting the urge to run and hide myself in a corner, like a child. As I reached the floor, I looked around but found no one willing to stop me.

Outside, the day was dawning. I opened the rear door of the taxi and chased her words from my mind. Sakurazukamori... Whoever he was, whatever he was, he had no reason to chase me. I was not Sumeragi, I was not his enemy. I closed the door and sank in the seat's cushions, closing my eyes. What mattered was that I'd be able to get some rest at last. Once I felt better, I would have to look for a way out of this nightmare... But it would wait for a few hours.

End of part 2.


On to Next Part.
Or back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.