[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Peace is Only for Fools - Part 5

A Saint Seiya x Tokyo Babylon fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





I turned away from the vision of the moonlit sky and went back into the room, sliding the bay window shut. Sighing, I leaned back against it and lowered my head.

I looked inside of me, walling myself from everything. The nebula shone softly, pulsing slowly, at rest. I let myself be drowned in its peaceful infinity, seeking control and calm. The police had not been a problem. It had immediately become clear I couldn't be suspected, but that didn't help the guilt I felt in my heart. Nothing could ever help that. The pain would simply join all the others, with the only difference that it would remain nameless, while the others bore names like Dante, Aphrodite, Syd, Io...

I smiled sadly, withdrawing from the soothing warmth of my cosmo. It was time to act now. I pushed myself from the bay window and went to the bed. I lied down, turning on the right side, and considered what my course of action should be. My eyes focused on the distant lights of Tokyo Tower. Sakurazukamori... I knew nothing of him. I knew nothing of Onmyoujutsu. I wasn't even sure I could believe in it. The deaths I had seen simply proved that he was very skilled and strong in what he did... But there was no apparent trace of anything "magical"... Except for the feeling of wrongness, of Evil I had gotten once...

I closed my eyes. I couldn't go to the Lady Sumeragi. I couldn't face her and tell her three innocent people had died because of me, of my sweet illusion of peace. And she was the only one I knew who could give me information on what I would have to fight. I tensed reflexively, and forcefully relaxed. Fight. Yes, this time I was committed. Athena was not here, I hated the very thought of harming anyone, but I had to. Or I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

From what the newspapers had said, I knew it was only the second time a murder like this one, with this type of lethal wound had been reported. The explanation was a simple one : if Sakurazukamori was indeed an assassin, he killed in different ways, to confuse any person brave enough to chase after him. Subaru had likely been murdered in a special way, perhaps because of the wielding of Onmyoujutsu or perhaps following a ritual... Anything was possible. The only thing I was sure of, was that the manner in which he had murdered the child and his parents was not accidental. Someone as skilled, as expert in killing as he was said to be could only do that with a clear purpose in sight.

A message. I shivered in the darkness. Of course I had no proof of that, it was a simple intuition, but one I couldn't deny. One that came from the core of my being, that I knew to be true. As to the meaning of the message... Challenge ? Mockery ? I opened my eyes and turned on the left side. It was useless to try and understand now. I needed time, and besides I was exhausted. I checked the alarm clock and saw with a mixture of horror and resignation that it indicated three AM.

I would have to be at the restaurant in about four hours. Oh well... Sliding under the sheets, I watched the ceiling and wondered if I would be able to get a minute of sleep tonight.

The restaurant's small hall was crowded. I brought back to the kitchen the empty plates, wondering how so many people could fit in such a little place. I would have said that organizing a wedding baquet here was ludicrous, but surprisingly everything was proceeding smoothly, everyone seemed happy... Nami looked at the plates and rolled her eyes.

"Oh my, dear spirits this is worse than what I could ever have imagined... Won't they be finished at last ?"

I shrugged helplessly.

"I don't have the foggiest idea, Nami-chan. it seems to me they're having a lot of fun right now... I wouldn't expect they'll stop anytime soon."

She looked at the window, and watched the already dense fog thickening with nightfall, sighing.

"It's already twenty-one PM... I fear we'll still be here at dawn..."

Yuto nodded.

"Yep, and if you two stand there like statues, we'll still be here in a month !... Shun, give me a hand to fill the dishwasher, will you ?"

Smiling apologetically, I took a pile of plates, saying :

"Sure, I'm sorry..."

Distantly, I heard a cry of surprise and an resounding echo of broken dishes.

"Shun ! Shun, what's going on ?"

I ignored the voices. I felt a long shiver running along my back. Evil... It was like an arrow piercing through my skull, like a devouring flame... Danger... A strange calm settled over me as I let my cosmo expand. I focused on the nebula and on the warning Andromeda had given me, and turned to the left. There. In that direction. I felt a slight smile on my lips. So... It seemed the time had come... Without facing my friends, I said softly :

"I'm sorry, but I must go. Now."

Without waiting for a reply, I went out in the night.

The feeling of wrongness was becoming stronger as I neared its source. Distantly, I saw the astounded expression of a Porshe driver I was overtaking and cursed under my breath. The fog was so thick that I had grown aware of the car's presence almost too late. I had no time to slow down and try and take my bearings correctly. I had to go on by trusting the accuracy of what I felt. Suddenly, I turned on the right and left the freeway, accelerating. It was close now.

There, a dark shape, indistinct. Unmoving. As I neared its position, the shape divided itself in two, and they both backed a step. In the strange light of the street lamps, I saw two young people, obviously lovers who had wanted to feel they were alone in the world, in the heart of the night. I gritted my teeth. Evil... It was so near I had the sick sensation of bathing in it. I yelled :

"Go ! Get away from here !"

They looked at me, paralyzed. Angry and frightened for them, I shoved the young man aside.

"Run ! Are you deaf ? Do you want to die ? This place is dangerous !"

At last, there was a light of understanding in his eyes and he grabbed his girlfriend's hand, running away and pulling her along. I sighed, releaved. Slowly, I turned around, barring the way they had gone and facing the threat.

The only sound was that of the water of the canal gently lapping its shores. I took a deep breath and focused inwardly, quieting the frantic beatings of my heart. I had no time for fear or doubts now. In this, I was alone, completely. I asked the darkness :

"Why do you stay hidden ? I'm in no mood for games. I know you're there, I can feel your presence..."

Suddenly, the feeling of wrongness vanished... And reappered a thousand times stronger as a dark shape manifested itself in front of me. There was a small chuckle in the deep silence.

"So... You have come. You are quite fast. I expected you, but not before a few minutes. You surprise me..."

I couldn't see him beyond a vague shape, half lost in the night and the fog. I cursed the street lamps and their weak light. As his words registered into my mind, the cold hand of fear closed around my heart and I asked him :

"You... You intended to kill those two people, didn't you ? Why ? They were no threat to you..."

There was a moment of silence, then he said :

"They were not intended prey... But in order for them to be good baits, they had to die."

To hurt me, to have an advantage over me, that was what he meant. I fixed the assassin's shape.

"You would kill innocents... Can't you even feel the smallest bit of pity ?"

He laughed at me.

"You are incredibly naive. You don't even know who is your enemy."

I shrugged.

"You are evil. That much I know, and it's enough."

"Evil am I ?..."

I could almost feel the amusement in his words.

"I'm afraid you are mistaken. Those two people would have died because of you..."

I backed a step. The amusement left his voice to be replaced by cold steel.

"You meddled in matters far beyond you. I would have let you live in peace, you were insignificant in my eyes... But you dared thwart me, you made me notice you... Now it is too late. Everything that has happened and will happen rests on your shoulders alone."

I shuddered. There was a twisted logic to his words. I chased them from my mind, and fixed the dark shape steadily.

"You are mad. And you are stupid..."

I smiled.

"They should have taught you that the first mistake you mustn't make is underestimate your opponent, the more so when you are powerful... I do not fear you, Sakurazukamori..."

"Is that so ?... Then I shall teach you fear..."

All at once, he moved. I smiled, closing my eyes and letting my cosmo expand and shine. He was incredibly fast, but I could feel each of his movements clearly. As he reached me, I simply stepped aside and turned to face him, a satisfied smile on my lips. He didn't pause, coming back to me as I regained my balance after the turn. His movements were a blur. This time, his speed... I dived into the nebula and moved instinctivly.

I raised a hand to my left cheek. I had thought I had avoided him, but belatedly, I realised something had brushed past me. Absentmindedly, I looked at the blood on my index finger. He was fast, incredibly so. No human being should have been able to touch me. I felt a drop of cold sweat running down my back. Who was he ? He chuckled.

"Learning, are you ? Good."

Suddenly, a strange aura shimmered around his indistinct shape and I felt... An energy, alien, strong... There was an insistent chant in the air. Something tugged at the back of my mind. Move... I had to move, before he could attack. I broke the spell and whispered :

"Nebula Stream, protect me..."

My cosmo brightened and the wind began to blow as his chant ended.

Step by step, I was forced to retreat. I gritted my teeth, feeling all my energy leaving me. Something was hitting my barrier, ceaselessly. Everything felt wrong, the wind of Nebula Stream should have chased the fog, but still it remained and clung to me, weighing on me, sucking my strength like a vampire. I refused the fear and focused on the nebula, willing the strange mist to lift. Suddenly, I staggered as I was struck by something sharp at the right shoulder. The violence of the blow threatened to make me fall. I ignored the pain and the feeling of warm blood running along my arm, fighting for balance. If I fell, I would die. My struggle lasted only a fraction of a second during which my defence was vulnerable, and it was enough. I cried out as I was savagely struck from every direction at once. I tried to move, but couldn't. I cried again as I felt the things hitting me shredding my body. Distantly, a part of me knew I was rapidly weakening. I whispered :

"You will not... have me... that easily..."

Instinct took over and I opened myself to Andromeda, taking her strength and pouring it in my barrier. The wind howled as the force of Nebual Stream was multiplied a hundred times and repulsed his attacks. I smiled as I saw him staggering, hit squarely on the right side.

Panting, ignoring with difficulty the sharp pain burning through my body, I focused on my enemy's shape. I needed only a little time, and then, strong or not, magician or not, he would die. I had no choice. I had to kill him now, while I could still stand. Suddenly, the pounding on my wind barrier stopped. Unbalanced, I fell on my knees and lost my concentration. His dark shape vanished, and I felt his presence right behind me. He chuckled softly :

"So... Subaru-kun didn't make his choice randomly after all... You have a strange and powerful aura... One wonders what it is exactly you are..."

Now. I had to strike now or he would. I turned around, shouting :

"Nebula..."

I stopped in mid-sentence. Nothing. There was no one around, no feeling of presence. All the energy I had gathered left me and I fell on the ground, unable to stifle a moan of pain.

It took me a few minutes to gather enough strength to get up. I fixed the darkness during a long time, wondering why he had left.

I looked at myself, at the numerous cuts on my body and shivered. They were all deep, and a few had reached the bone. I raised a hand and watched the blood staining it. My blood. Subaru had died that way.

End of part 5.


On to Next Part.
Or back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.