[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Resolutions... - 4 : Glimpses in the Dark.

A Saint Seiya fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





I stared at Adrian, who looked up to conquer the world, and sighed goodhumoredly, letting myself fall down wearily on a piece of broken column and signaling to everyone that I needed to stop.

"Wait a bit, will you ? I need to catch my breath."

One hated running up stairs in the full heat of Greece's Summer. One hated that with a passion. I closed my eyes, trying to think of nothing and forget about the constant soft chimelike sound of the Chain moving on my arms, warning of danger. Nathalie's voice rose in the air as she said :

"You're not the only one, we all need rest."

I smiled as I heard them sitting down nearby, and as Steve and Roy both sighed heavily, whispering weakely :

"It's so awfully hot here..."

Sionna shook her head ruefully.

"I wish we had the power to summon a fountain of soda..."

I chuckled, imagining the scene. That would have been very useful indeed.

"Oh shit..."

My eyes snapped open. Rika was pointing to a point in front of us. Kristin nodded, and said dryly :

"I think we have a problem."

Fifty meters away from us, two Houses were now standing where there had been but one mere moments before.

Gemini.

Liz swore softly, and I felt the dangerous flame of anger flaring.

Damn him to all the hells.

In the blink of an eye, I reached a decision and stood briskly, clapping my hands.

"Okay ! This is going to be *fun*..."

I smiled icily.

"Ariane ?..."

This had always been one of my favourite parts, he was going to be sorry.

Oh yes...

"Hey, Ariane ?!"

Abruptly, I realized that Sionna's hand was gently shaking my left shoulder, and that she had been trying to get my attention for the last few seconds. I looked into her eyes and slowly wiped my brow, chasing away unruly and damp locks of hair where they belonged. Gods, I had allowed something that was more than anger come over me, and blind me... I shook my head apologetically.

"Sorry Shi-chan, I was... distracted..."

She smiled understanding, then indicated the two Houses above us.

"I know what we're supposed to do, but don't you think it's time we changed the rules and cheated just a bit ?"

Lai chuckled, standing as well.

"I think I know what you intend. By all means..."

Kristin's eyes glinted with amusement.

"Too bad we won't be able to watch the expression on his face when he sees this, I'm sure it'd be priceless."

Once everybody had stood, we started running up again, aiming for a narrow, shadowed way.

Right between the two temples.

Damn if we'd enter any of them and allow ourselves to be trapped in their maze. I laughed inwardly.

My, but he'd be frustrated as hell !




His fingers thoughtfully tapped the right arm of the throne as he saw them heading for the space between the two Houses of Gemini. It was a nice variation, this one, but more importantly it meant that the opposition had now regained enough confidence and strength to once more use their mind efficiently, and quickly.

Almost, he was tempted to let them pass, but he couldn't ignore the possible consequences of their starting to think coherently again.

If ever they were to have doubts about his plans...

He couldn't risk that.

Closing his eyes, he sent his mind far below, on the square where the House of Gemini and its shadow stood. There was a very easy way of avoiding problems, as well as distract them.

Do the expected.




The looming shapes of both Gemini Houses on our sides were daunting, and not a little bit scary. Fortunately, the way between them wasn't long, we'd soon reach the sunlight and the Stairs leading up to the fourth House again.

Cancer.

I snorted inwardly, hoping our opponent would have had the good taste of refraining from using that particular House and its dark past.

The proximity of death wasn't something I had ever found appealing in the least.

Bright flame rising.

Within.

Frantic heartbeat.

Hurting.

Fire arrow.

Blinding.

Danger.

I staggered, almost losing my balance and falling, overwhelmed by the feeling which had engulfed me just now. Liz, Sionna, Rika, Steve, Kristin and Adrian were already beyond the two Houses' shadows, and it would take the rest of us a few seconds to join them.

Then why ?

On impulse, I looked up and felt.

Time slowed, falling upon us like a mist, holding us back and preventing us from reaching the light of the sun. Liz turned towards us, in a slow motion, and in the same time the wave of power struck.

Under our feet, the ground opened up and we fell.

Into the dark.




Something violently stopped my fall, and I yelled as a sharp pain tore through the palms of my hands.

The Chain.

As it had once done for Andromeda Shun, it had stretched of its own volition, curling up to two of the outside columns of the real House of Gemini, holding me back halfway between the reality of the Sanctuary and the black, bottomless abyss that was still pulling at me.

It had saved my life.

Suddenly, I saw three other persons drifitng past me, and realized I hadn't been the only one trapped.

Gods !

In a mad, desperate gamble, I released the left part of the Chain, hoping the Cloth could handle the stress without my help and held out my free hand, ignoring the deep cut the Cloth was opening in my right palm under the Chain's pressure and shouting :

"Take my hand Roy ! Take my hand !"

For an agonizingly long second, I thought he wouldn't make it, then his hand closed upon mine, desperately holding on. I gritted my teeth, wondering how long this could last before my strength ran out and we fell into the endless night, for good.

Hell, this was awfully hard.

Belatedly, I remembered about the other two, and looked down.

They were drifting farther away, faster with each moment that passed.

Hopelessly lost, beyond my ability to reach.

I shook my head wildly, crying :

"Lai ! Nathalie !"

No...

To hell with all this !

No !

Suddenly, a light shone around Lai, chasing the darkness away, and something shimmered right behind her.

I heard laughter, distantly aware it was coming from me.

Wings.

Wings had unfolded in her back.

Angel's wings.

I remembered Aries Mu's words to her, and wondered to what extent he had known. Lai looked around her with a detached expression, and as she saw Nathalie close by, she sighed.

"Oh brother, menial work again. I deserve better, really. Saving humans... Ah well..."

With what looked like a resigned shrug, she flew over to Nathalie, took her hand and then flew up, asking impatiently as she reached me :

"So, are you gonna hang there for all eternity ? You don't have that much time to spare you know..."

I looked at her, amazed at the change of personality, and eventually understood. Grinning despite myself, I replied :

"In case you hadn't noticed, one is doing one's best, and, being human, one can hardly do more than that, *Micheal-san*."

Her eyes widened in surprise at that, and she snorted.

"Suit yourself, halo thief. I'm most certainly not staying here any longer."

As she flew past me, I started chuckling.

This particular angel seemed to enjoy holding petty grudges.

As she was about to disappear from my field of vision, space around us suddenly seemed to fold upon itself, and we were harshly pulled upwards.




The ground was awfully hard, and cold. I stood up cautiously, looking at my right hand with something akin to chagrin. The cut in its palm wasn't a small one, and it still sent a dull pain radiating through my arm.

A small price to pay for two lives, though.

I took in our surroundings, and swore loudly.

We were still caught in the darkness of a moonless night, and I could barely discern the Chain linking me to two columns, and reality.

"Ariane, you okay ?"

I shrugged, replying shortly.

"Yeah, sure."

Lai stared at me questioningly, then nodded.

"Ew, you do look pissed..."

Taken aback, I realized she was absolutely correct. Gesturing helplessly, I said :

"Sorry, I guess I am..."

I smiled at her.

"What about you ? You seem in a better mood than a few moment ago, certainly less haughty..."

She blushed, bowing her head in embarrassment.

"I apologize about that. You know Micheal..."

I laughed.

"Yes, I know your Micheal, and I enjoy pestering him, so it's okay !"

Nathalie cleared her throat, catching our attention.

"Sorry to disturb you, but I think we should try to continue this discussion in a better suited place, don't you agree ?"

That was true enough.

Stupid.

Shrugging off the urge to start berating myself in earnest, I looked around us, and my heart sank. How did one get free of this maze ?

I cursed angrily, closing my fingers around the Chain's rings. I knew how to win free.

Gods rot it, it was so simple...

Anger flared up within me, coming dangerously close to fury. I had the only weapon that could reach our enemy and undo this trap, force him to release his hold on us.

And he knew I had it.

Damnit, what was the purpose of this ?

A game ?

What was the point ? Did he think I'd balk at the thought of using the Chain ?

Fool.

Arrogant fool.

I shouted at the night :

"I hope you've had your fun, because we're done playing silly games for your amusement. Let go of us, now !"

When the echo of my words had faded, an ethereal voice replied, coming from nowhere and everywhere at once :

"Why should I ? Give me at least one valid justification, and I may consider it..."

Trying to keep calm, I told the void :

"The Chain is my reason. We both know that if I release it and set you as its target, it won't miss. There's nothing you can do about that."

The voice retorted at once, mocking :

"Is that so ? But for this to bear any weight, I'd have to believe the tales which claim that a simple bronze Chain is the heart and soul of the Andromeda nebula. Then I'd have to believe you really master its use that much..."

I shook my head furiously, saying in a low voice :

"I've heard enough."

Before I could move, Roy closed a hand on my right arm, and I turned towards him, astoudned.

"What ?!"

He said softly :

"You're doing what he wants. He knows full well you can carry out your threat. *Think*. What will happen to you once you've used the Chain ?"

I shrugged, staring at him.

"I know the price. Do you see another alternative to get us out of this mess ?"

He smiled mysteriously.

"Just wait."




The dark figure sitting on the throne of the Holy Chamber in the heart of the Sanctuary tensed abruptly. His head shot up as the full force of a spell that was alien to this realm struck him directly, tearing the black mask away from his face.

The mask fell down on the pavement and rolled on itself for a few steps before coming to a stop. He watched it thoughtfully for a while, and then stood.

Smiling.

He walked slowly towards the mask, retrieved it and set it back in place, still smiling contentedly. He had planned for Ariane to drain herself of strength, and that had been thwarted. Amusingly enough, the alternate outcome had proven to be much more interesting.

And potentially the true beginning of their defeat.

As he was turning back towards the throne, his eyes caught sight of something lazily falling down towards him, coming out of nowhere. He stopped, his right hand reaching out to it.

Waiting.




"Hey, what happened to you guys ? One moment you disappeared, and the next you were there again..."

I blinked, looking around me and trying to adjust to the fact that we were on the left side of the House of Gemini. Then, it struck me. The House of Gemini...

The twin temple was gone.

He had released his hold on the illusion.

Why ?

"Hey Ariane, you intend to stay here and take up roots, or what ?"

I stared blankly at Lai, and realized that she and Nathalie had already joined the others on the Stairs leading upwards. Snorting, I walked towards them, still wondering what had happened. As I was about to reach them, I remembered that Roy was still behind me, and turned to call him.

For the time of a heartbeat, I stared at him, feeling something cold slowly seeping in my veins.

His shadow had changed again for that of a tall, lean man wearing a long trenchcoat. Distantly, I felt myself stepping back, and at the same time a breeze rose in the air, brushing my cheeks and dying almost immediately.

As if born of the beating of powerful wings.

As sudden as it had come, the moment passed, everything taking back its proper place. Roy's shadow being once more Roy's shadow. I shook my head, wondering if the sun was so harsh as to make me hallucinate.

A drink would have been very, very much welcome.




The man in black robe watched the fragile thing which had landed in the palm of his left hand, fascinated.

Mesmerized.

This, he hadn't planned for. He hadn't even dreamed...

Before, the odds had already been very high in his favour, but now there was no more place for doubts. He chuckled softly, aware that, if they had known, they wouldn't have considered this as victory on his part.

How mistaken they were.

They lacked true understanding...

Understanding, the fabled three-edged weapon.

At last, he allowed the breeze to take it away from his hand and kept watching as it fell slowly to the floor.

When he turned his back on it, the small pool of blood red wine was still being ruffled by the slight ripples the small, delicate object had caused when it had landed on it. How beautiful and fitting the sight was...

A small, so vulnerable white petal drowning slowly, but inexorably in an ocean of blood.

Sakura blossom petal...

End of Part 4.


Back to Previous Part.

On to Next Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.