[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


... as Long as Roses Last...
( or never let a Black Unicorn get a glimpse of your garden...)
Days Four and Five : Monday December 7th and Tuesday December 8th
Resolution

A Shoujo Kakumei Utena (well, kinda ^^;;) fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





I nodded with a smile, gratefully accepting Serge's offer of a tea. There was nothing better than tea or coffee to completely wake up in the morning. Even though I was on holiday, that truth remained. I sat back, carefully resting my back against the edge of Serge's bed, and refrained the urge to yawn and stretch like a cat.

While Tim was going through his revision, Doug, Kyri and I had decided to meet with Serge in his room and watch some anime. I had most innocently suggested we watch a few episodes of Rurouni Kenshin, which I had brought from Belgium and which I knew we'd never get around to watch if we didn't do it now. After all, there was Utena, that we hadn't even started, and it was already Monday.

Monday.... I would leave on the morrow, and nothing would be resolved, the order of things within BAIT more firmly set than ever. I found that most inconvenient, but there was nothing I could do about this.

Nothing.

I had to wait.

To wait....

For a proper opening.

Proper....

Proper....

Proper....

The word was dancing a dizzying dance in my head, taunting me and daring me to try and grab it as it flew before my eyes. There had been nothing like a "proper" opening, and I was starting to doubt there'd be one. Perhaps it had been foolish and naive of me to think that either President of Vice-President of BAIT would make that step.

That mistake.

Rising to one of Tim's half jokes, half provocations was something I couldn't afford to do, it wouldn't have been right. I couldn't be the initiator, not under any circumstance, no matter how I might be goaded into committing myself. My eyes settled on the silent shape of Kyri, and I smiled. He himself wouldn't move, he was far too subtle for that. He was the hand which moved the pieces on the gameboard without their being aware of it, the one who watched and waited; and then when he deemed the moment was right, he stepped in.

And left the field a winner.

Well, perhaps not this time, Mr. President. It looked like both he and I would be deprived of a conclusion to that fascinating game of cat and mouse.

Serge held me out a steaming cup of tea and I thanked him, relishing the sensation of the drink's heat passing on to the fingers holding the cup. Once everybody had their drink, Serge took my tape and inserted it into the vcr. We didn't have much time, Tim's revision wouldn't take that long, so I had settled for showing them a group of three episodes of Kenshin. Just three, not exactly chosen randomly.

Saitou Hajime's first appearance on the show and its consequences, right at the start of the Kyoto story.

I watched each of them closely as the story unfolded, and was rewarded by the various expressions on their faces. Even if Doug had seen at least one of these before, or if they more or less knew what was supposed to happen, they had never watched it in the proper order, without interruption, and they had never gotten to see this in its full glory.

This was one of the show's highlights.

As the third episode ended, I regretfully moved to retrieve the tape. I could have kept on watching the whole Kyoto story in a row, but that wasn't exactly possible. It was too bad, though, that we hadn't been able to go on just a bit, because--

"Why don't we watch some more, after all Tim's revision can't be finished yet." I nodded enthusiastically, and so we started watching again, and saw Soujirou's appearance, which got Kyri's full attention. And then....

"Ariane, please tell me he's not going to ruin that scene...."

I smiled at the President, and whispered, "No, don't worry. Just watch."

Fireflies were flying in the night, their fragile light a beautiful and sad one, while the music rose, gripping the heart. As the scene ended, as its superb conclusion hit us, I found my eyes were brimming with tears, as always.

Shikkoku no yami no naka e...hitori kieteitta.

It was just so perfect, so simple and so moving....

I discreetly wiped at my eyes, feeling a bit silly, and then asked them what they thought about it. Kyri nodded at me, replying softly, "Good, very good."

Doug shook his head, "I really need to get to see it in a proper fashion, instead of catching a random episode every now and then at LAC. Really...."

I grinned at him, happy they had enjoyed it as much as I had. "Yes, Doug, you *must* see it correctly, it's worth it." I sighed. "I wish I could make copies for you, but this is NTSC, and my vcr can only read it by transforming it into PAL sixty hertz instead of the true PAL fifty hertz standard, so it's impossible to copy." Why was multi-standard gear so expensive in Belgium? So expensive that it wasn't even on display in stores because nobody bothered to even imagine buying that....

"All right, I just got an e-mail from Tim saying that he's back. But before we end this session," Serge grinned, "let me show you this."

We all gathered around his computer, and then he started the trailer of the new Star Wars movie. I watched with rapt attention, and as it ended, I promised myself I'd go see it on its release day in Belgium, or...yes, it might even be possible to go see it while I'd be in the US.... Yes, to see it in the original version; I wanted to avoid having to bear with the French version, this time.

Hmmm.... That sounded like a really good idea.




"So, are you ready?" Tim grinned at both Doug and me as he set the laser disc in place. I chuckled and told him I was, sitting back comfortably in the sofa. Serge had been unable to join us, having to attend a game session, and Kyri had disappeared, either because he had work to do, or because he wanted to wander in Cambridge's second hand bookstores, hunting for books on Arthur Rimbaud. Besides, the President had already seen what Tim was about to show us, so it wasn't really that important for him to be there.

Tim brought his laptop close, and set himself on the correct page of the Utena Encyclopedia web site. Even though he didn't have fansubs of the episodes we were going to watch, there were scripts available, scripts Tim would read while Doug and I focused on the screen. This would be easier than for him to have to translate on the fly, even if it was bound to become tiring after a while....

Tim pushed the play button on his remote control, and a respectful--almost religious--silence settled over his living-room for a few seconds.

Then, the lyrics of Revolution started.

Revolution....

Reality vanished, while....

I....

Dived.

Drowned.

Absorbed....

One....

One with the story....

With its fabric....

Its universe....

Its characters....

Feeling....

Experiencing....

In my heart....

Feeling....

Feeling....

Feeling....

Trapped....

Enraptured....

Its prisoner....

Yes, but....

Willing.

Something cold gripped my heart as I saw the church spire.

Black...

Dark....

In the rain....

The coffins.

They....

A part of me screamed silently, one with the child Saionji Kyouichi had been.

Trapped.

Unable to prevent....

Paralyzed.

Powerless.

Anger came then, white hot. That character always triggered anger or contempt, but this time it was even more so than usual. Kiryu Touga.... Oh I could see your game more than clearly, I could see what you were doing and why from the beginning, how you....

I forced myself to stop, once more surprised at this show's ability to trigger such powerful emotions in my stupid heart. I watched on, trying to build a wall around myself, trying to detach myself from the character's feelings and actions, only partially successful.

The Castle Said to Hold Eternity....

Oh yes, as Truth's lyrics resounded in the room, I nodded to myself. This would stay the key episode for me. The symbolism in it, the events, so *powerful*.... It would likely be my favourite of the whole show. It was so essential, what I had seen in it, so primordial even. I'd have to deal with the scenes I had just watched, I'd have to deal with them in a fic, sooner or later. I could feel the raw memories of the episode dancing in my mind. I knew they'd keep doing so, until I could master them somehow, and find a way to express the feelings they gave rise to, and give them a meaning.

"Isn't he so gorgeous?"

I looked at Tim, who was of course expressing his undying adoration for Kiryu Touga, and forced myself to grin at him, replying, "He's a slime". That of course just caused him to go at it again, and attempt to prove to me how wrong I was, how subtle and magnificent "Touga-sama" was, how we puny mortals didn't deserve.... I silenced the wild voice within, who wanted to react and let irrational anger through. I had no right to lash out at Tim for just teasing me about Touga. I knew he was bound to do it, it was expected. But damn, it took such a strong effort.... For some reason, I couldn't help myself from reacting more than violently to the character.

Some of my thoughts where Kiryu Touga was concerned might even have been qualified as murderous.

The show went on, with Tim regularly praising the unearthly perfect qualities of Touga, and I finding it more and more difficult to restrain my temper.

Because I was falling.

Into the story....

Falling deeper....

With each episode....

Deeper....

Losing my....

Self.

I watched as the story of episode eleven unfolded before my eyes. I watched in silence as what I had known would happen took place, as logic found its fated conclusion, while I was stuck in the passive role of the powerless witness.

As the trap's jaw closed.

I watched, so tense that I was almost deafened by the echoes of my heartbeats.

Damn him.

Damn the treacherous, honorless son of--

"Yes! At last, I had been waiting for that, isn't it grand?"

I slowly turned towards Tim.

He was grinning widely, his face alight with joy.

He....

I....

Couldn't....

Restrain....

Anger....

Fury....

"Touga-sama is just--"

Somehow, I managed to hold my voice more or less steady as I whispered tonelessly:

"Tim, enough."

He stared at me numbly, surprised. Uncomprehending. I shut up, unable to utter another word, furiously fighting to get a grip on myself, fighting the trembling within and the tears of rage I could feel rising in my eyes. Gods, I had never been so close to being beyond reason, beyond control. When I lashed out at someone, it was always because I chose to let go, because I chose to release the emotions inside me, but here....

Here....

I focused on the rhythm of my breathing, on calm, and Tim wisely remained silent. Hell, I had to have shocked him, and it was the last thing I wanted. I had never wanted to strike out like this, to rise.... But if I hadn't told him to stop, a single other word would have unmade what small control I had left.

Out of nowhere, a gentle breeze surrounded me, strangely comforting, and calm slowly spread within me.

No matter what, I couldn't let myself be goaded into initiating, or challenging, be it following a chance remark, or a deliberate provocation. I couldn't do that, and I couldn't lash out at a friend without reason like I almost had. I nodded inwardly, more than thankful for the intervention, and told Tim in a whisper, "I'm sorry. Sorry, it's just--" I gestured helplessly, leaving my words hanging in the air, and he shrugged, apparently willing to forget about the incident.

The following episode fortunately featured a character I liked intervening to set things back into their proper place, and I felt a feral smile on my lips when I saw the expression on Kiryu Touga's face at the end.

Pooooooooooor darling....

Oh yes, poor little thing. Had I been a character of the show, I'd have happily crashed him down with one heel to help him become one with the floor and the universe, therefore putting an end to his misery. I'd even have done him the honor of wearing knife-sharp high heels, just for that....

"Okay, we'll have to stop here, it's the end of the first story arch, and I don't think oba-chan would like to leave Cambridge while stuck in the middle of the Black Rose Saga."

I chuckled good-humoredly. "Indeed, I'd definitely be upset if that happened!" I stretched , leaning back and yawning widely. "Oh my...." I reluctantly pushed myself from the sofa, standing up. "Okay, I'm gonna do some packing, so I'll be free of that tomorrow. I won't be long."

As I was stepping towards the bedroom, Tim said with a grin on his face, "You know, I really thought you were going to eat me alive during episode eleven."

I stopped, and coughed, embarrassed. "Yeah, sorry about that."

Tim's grin widened. "Why didn't you let yourself react as you so obviously wanted to?"

I laughed, taken aback, and then pointed towards him, grinning back. "Dear, get this through that stubborn head of yours: I'm not letting you goad me into any wild reaction. No matter what, you won't manage to get me to rise to any provocation of any kind."

A strange light flashed in Tim's eyes, and he said quietly, "Yes, it sure does look that way, doesn't it?" Distantly, I noticed Doug's clouded expression. The Secretary was tense all of a sudden, inwardly fighting with something. Outside, the light of day was dimming. Tim sighed dramatically. "All right, since you won't be tricked into making the first step, I am forced to discard the game and make that move myself."

I looked at him with curiosity, unable to understand what he'd just said.

What game? He....

The Vice-President of BAIT walked towards me, and held out something for me to take.

A dark crimson red rose.

Crimson red so dark, so intense that its heart and the inner edge of its petals were black.

I stared at the magnificent flower, numb. What was the meaning of this? It couldn't possibly be....

"Ariane, I challenge you to a duel."

I still didn't react, frantically trying to place all the pieces together. I knew he'd constantly been trying to get me to react, he hadn't stopped teasing me mercilessly from the first day I had been here. I had thought he had something in mind, while in the same time growing more and more certain none of them would actually initiate an action, since there would have been nothing in it for them. And now this.... He was offering me what I'd been looking for on a godsrotted silver plate! What could be the meaning of this? The goal? Eventually, I looked up at him, and shook my head. "This doesn't make sense. I don't even know how to fence, and I have no reason to take up that challenge, none at all."

He smiled. "Really?" He looked behind him at Doug, who was standing a few steps behind him, rigid and silent, and then faced me again. "Then don't take it up. But don't complain that you weren't given an opportunity."

An opportunity.... I looked out the window behind Tim, hoping to get a glimpse of a magical being who had more knowledge and wisdom than I had, who might have understood what was really at stake here, but I didn't see anything, I didn't feel any breeze brushing my face. Nothing. As I looked away, for a fraction of a second my eyes met Doug's, and understanding struck.

To change the order of things.... *That* was what he meant, what we'd been discussing on our way to K-chan's on Saturday. And possibly he was telling me the truth, that this was the only opportunity I had, the only opportunity which would allow me to.... I nodded. Things were starting to make sense, but I still lacked a very important piece of the puzzle. So I told him, "Let's forget for a moment that I don't know how to fence." I stared at him steadily. "Why are you doing this? Why are you offering me this opportunity? What is your gain?" I paused, but he stayed silent, so I asked him the real question. "What is the stake of the duel you propose?"

He smiled softly, replying, "The stake is always the same, Ariane. In all the duels which have been fought since ancient times." His eyes locked on mine. "What do you want? What do I want? The stake of the duel is simply the loser granting the winner's answer to that question."

I shook my head. This was stupid. Yes I could see the stake were I to win the duel, but what if he won? What could he possibly gain? What could he possibly want that I could.... My heart skipped a beat.

No.

No way, he didn't know. He couldn't know.

I searched his face for a clue, an answer, a hint, but saw nothing else than the duellist's flame in his eyes. He could well be trying to intimidate me, to make me reject the challenge...or not. I had to make my decision alone. And the fact that Velvet wasn't showing herself in any way did nothing to reassure me on the potential danger there was in accepting.

Those who never risk anything, never win anything. I knew the saying, like everyone else. And I knew that the opportunity was no lie. I had no right to let it pass without even trying. After all, what could happen? Even if Tim suspected something, it wouldn't change the duel's outcome. There was no doubt of what that would be, none. I thought about Doug, and about how close his ties with a whimsical mythical being were, and made my decision.

I reached out towards Tim's hand, and delicately took the rose from him, careful of its thorns. I nodded at the Vice-President. "I accept your challenge."

He grinned. "Good. Then I'll be waiting for you in the Duel Arena. Kristin will be here right after work, she'll show you the way. Be there at sunset. That should leave you enough time to pack."

As he was turning away, I asked him one last question. "About the rose's colour.... Why did you choose that?"

He stopped at that, and smiled. "The President chose it himself, because it's the one that you prefer. He also said that it suited you perfectly."

I winced almost imperceptibly, belatedly realizing that I had been careless and that one of the thorns had opened a shallow cut in my thumb.

The President had chosen the rose. How could he have known that these were my favourite roses since I had been a little child wandering among my grandmother's many rose bushes?

I gritted my teeth and went towards the bedroom, where I had some packing to do. It didn't matter who had chosen the flower or its colour. It didn't matter, for a very simple reason. As an illustrious figure of history had said two thousand years ago while crossing a river named the Rubicon:

"Alea jacta est."




"How did you come to know of this place?" I looked at K-chan with more than a bit of curiosity, and she shrugged.

"Whenever I write a fic, I try to gather as much material on the subject of that fic as I can. After telling you I intended to write a BAIT fic, I simply asked them if they didn't mind my following them around and taking notes. Of course, they said it was okay." I nodded, and stopped in the same time she did.

Right before us was a huge door, made solely of ancient wood, beautifully carved. On impulse, I stepped towards it, and let my fingers caress its surface, feeling the patterns set in the wood. It was smooth to the touch, having been given a patina over its many years of existence. I smiled, asking quietly, "So their duel arena is right on the other side?" I shook my head, adding, "I'd never have thought it'd be on the grounds of Trinity itself, within its centuries-old walls..." Of course I could see why they'd have wanted it this way, this place lent something very special to those who belonged in it, but..."I wonder how on earth they managed to have to themselves a part of the space of one of Cambridge's ancient colleges."

Behind me, K-chan replied, "This is BAIT, they have...connections. I don't know the bottom of it, but fact is this space is theirs. Ariane," I turned from the door to face K-chan, "you can't get in." The look on her face was grave. "It's impossible to open that door if you're not a member of BAIT. Tim tricked you, and now that you've accepted it, failure to show up would make you the loser of the duel."

I stared at her silently, feeling a smile coming to my face. Why, the swindler! Chuckling, I told her, "Don't worry, I can get in there no problem. Besides," I grinned widely, "in a few seconds I'll even have the right to enter."

Still smiling, I retraced my steps to cross to the open side of the stone archway. As I looked up towards the cloudy darkening sky, I heard K-chan protesting, "And then what? Even if you get in there, you don't have a fencing foil, you can't even fence, for that matter!"

Focusing on the vision of the infinite sky, I replied, "As I said, don't worry. I didn't exactly agreed to walk into this blind and defenseless."

Silence settled back over the place, and I breathed in deeply, aware that this was the point of no return. As always when I reached it, I was tempted to step back while there was still time. It was a stupid reaction, but one which I had never been able to suppress. Discarding it, I whispered softly to the sky, "Velvet, I need your help, my friend. Will you grant it?"

The breeze stopped, and there was a moment of utter silence, as if a hush had come over the stones around us, as if even they were watching, waiting to see.... Wind suddenly rushed in the archway, wild, flying my and K-chan's hair all over our faces, and then my eyes saw this wind had a shape. A transparent winged unicorn stopped right before me.

Yes.

The frozen tableau of she and I facing each other abruptly broke as her shape dissolved into a stormy wind which surrounded me, deafening, and....

Restricted....

This body....

Freedom....

Taken away....

Even if partly....

I....

It had to be.

I knew. I....

We.

I whirled around and faced K-chan, grinning like a fool.

Grinning.

Yes, I could grin! I...I was both she and I. The pronoun was kind of difficult at the moment, but this wouldn't last so I could deal with it. We could deal with it.

"Ariane?"

I looked at K-chan and nodded. "Yes." Her eyes searched mine for the familiar part of me that she knew, and I let her find it and be reassured. I focused inwards, feeling the body I was wearing, sharing, and sighed inwardly at its blatant lack of power. There was nothing I could do about that, and besides the enemy would know the same limitations, being human. I shook my head, feeling sorry for them.

Mortals had *no* idea what it was....

How it felt....

To be....

Alive....

Truly alive....

I shook my head, shrugging off the temptation to shed this body and leave the ground, fly high over the clouds where the sun always shone. I had something to do, something which might even be a bit fun.

Just a little bit.

I brought my left arm up and focused, willing the heart and core of my self to come into being with a fitting shape. There....

The thin bladed sword drew a shining arc which disturbed the archway's shadows as I repeated from memory the salute I--she--had seen in a movie not so long ago. I looked at my left hand, and thought this little surprise might even be amusing. Ariane was right-handed, sure, but the Vice-President didn't know that she was right-handed only for writing.... I laughed, eager to get on with it, and told K-chan, "I think everything's set now. Shall we go?"




"Be welcome, Lady Ariane." I closed the ancient door once K-chan had come through, and faced the President, who bowed. I noted the lack of surprise on all their faces at our entrance, and nodded inwardly. They suspected something, but it might be their suspicions only concerned Ariane herself. Yes, that had to be it. Still, I couldn't completely shrug off the fact that they had expected me--her--to reach this place, and the possible meaning of that. Even though it was cause for concern, I couldn't pause to ponder the implications, it was far too late for that.

I was committed now.

The place was in fact an inner garden, with the usual impossibly cleanly cut lawn, and in its center a great chestnut tree. It was good that this was a place opened to the sky. Yes, it was fitting. The image of a castle hanging upside down above our heads popped into my mind and I chuckled, thinking Ariane's thoughts were really funny. The Vice-President was waiting beside the chestnut tree, wearing the bright red rose at his buttonhold as I had expected, while the President, the Secretary and the Treasurer were watching from the outer edge of the garden. K-chan joined them, and I stepped towards Tim, finding it difficult to ignore the tingling sensation of the blood running in my veins, the heartbeats speeding up, the almost overwhelming urge to--

"It's a magnificient sword that you have, Ariane. Might one be so curious as to inquire where you got it?"

I focused on the Vice-President, and shrugged. "Like you, I have..." I grinned "connections." It was getting dark in this garden, even despite the torches which had been set along the walls encircling it, sure sign that the sun was setting. I brought my sword up, and repeated the salute I had done earlier, careful not to allow the "sword" to show too much of itself.

Tim's eyes widened. "Impressive. How did you come up with that salute?"

I chuckled. "It's nothing serious or complicated, my dear Vice-President, just a form of salute I saw in a movie about a fencing school in New York a while ago." I lowered the blade, allowing its tip to brush the blades of grass at my feet, and told him, "Shall we start?"

His blade cleaved the air in a salute both intricate and beautiful, and then the President of BAIT's voice rang in the cold air of the falling night.

"En garde!"

I watched as Tim raised his fencing foil in the correct, classical position. Ariane knew nothing about fencing, that was true, but I.... I had had lots of fun watching each lesson the members of BAIT had followed. Besides, I had no need to have studied this art. My opponent waited for a while, perhaps preferring if I was the one who engaged the assault, but I wasn't about to move before he did.

The attack came suddenly, quick as lightning. I watched the blade's movement, I watched the hand, the wrist and the arm behind it and how he lunged, I watched and waited, unmoving. At the last moment, I simply swung around on my left heel, in a smooth, fluid movement not unlike that of a toreador. Carried away by his impetus, he went past me and stopped a few meters farther, coming around as fast as he could to be ready for a following attack, which I had no intention of delivering.

I smiled as I saw the surprise on his face, and he asked me, "Where did you learn to do this? I thought you had said you didn't know anything about fencing."

I laughed. "But Ariane told you the truth. She doesn't know the slightest thing about fencing."

My joyful laughter was rising in the darkness. I could feel the blood pounding in my veins.

Wild....

Intoxicating....

As I finished my sentence, he came at me again, and this time....

Fast.

Adrenaline rushed through my body, and I moved, catching his blade with mine and turning in the same time, pushing him away form me. As the sounds of the two blades clashing echoed in the night, I grinned ferally.

Good.

Very good.

This had been very much more like it. I lazily turned to face my adversary, and found him in a warding stance, wary. Now, that...that wasn't fun. Of course I understood why he had to do that, but it didn't change the fact that it wasn't fun. So I nodded, and said, "All right. Since I know how this will go, I suggest we don't tarry along, and finish it quickly." I raised my own blade. "I hope you don't mind."

I lunged, knowing in advance how he would try to counter the attack, knowing exactly how his body would move. I could have told him not to bother. To try and avoid me was futile. I could move as fast as a ray of sunlight, even when I couldn't use the simple teleportation trick.

To his credit, he tried. He saw he was lost, and still tried.

And failed.

The petals of his bright red rose slowly fell around him, like a miniature version of rain. I faced him and saluted. "So, I think now--"

"Just a minute, Ariane." I froze, recognizing the voice of the President, and eventually turned towards him.

He was smiling.

"You have certainly defeated the Vice-President, there is no denying that. However this duel isn't truly finished, since you didn't exactly play it fair in using another's strength and combining it with yours."

Something cold closed its hand around my heart. Something I had known once, ages ago, but.... I fought against the urge to step back while Kyri went on, "In all fairness, since there are two people fighting on your side, it's only natural there should be two on ours, don't you think?"

I nodded curtly, unable to find a flaw in his logic. It was all true, and since he had been perceptive enough to discover it, I had no other choice than to comply, or leave the duel area.

And lose.... No way.

While Tim left the field, I waited for Kyri to step in, but he didn't move. Once Tim reached his side, he turned towards the Secretary, and said softly, "Doug, go."

I brought my right hand to my lips, and stepped back, horrified.

That something cold which was seeping inside my body, I knew its name now, I remembered.

Fear.

I.... No, I was trapped, I had no way out. None. I looked helplessly at Doug's stricken expression, and knew he had no choice but to obey and take Tim's place in the duel. He was part of BAIT, and he had to take up the challenge. That was the way. The way.... Slowly, the Secretary walked over to the President who held out to him his very own fencing foil. In a slow motion, Doug's hand took it, his fingers closing around the hilt, and then I saw Kyri's lips curling up in a triumphant smile. My mind reeled as I understood just how stupid I had been and how easily he'd been playing me--her--for a fool.

He was behind it from the start. He was the one who had challenged me--us. He who had chosen the rose, and he'd gone so far as to let Tim tell me--her--so. I just hadn't listened to the words. I hadn't.... He had never expected Tim to win, he'd been aiming for this moment alone, because....

He knew.

There was no other possible explanation. Doug stepped into the field, and came to face me, silent. I stared at him, lost, but all I saw in his eyes was anguish drowning in helplessness.

"En garde!"

I didn't hear the President's voice. I couldn't fight Doug. *I* couldn't. Neither she nor I. We couldn't. It was as simple as that. Defeating him would have been defeating ourselves and our purpose. Both parts of my heart were agreed on this, and on refusing to play along.

Alea jacta est.... Yes, Caius Julius Caesar had said that upon crossing the Rubicon river with his legions in direct defiance of the senate's will. And that had meant accepting the responsibility and consequences of that action, no matter what they would turn out to be.

I lowered my blade, and as its tip touched the grass, the "sword" glowed softly before disappearing into the night, the only remaining signs of its existence a few sparks of light which disappeared in the lawn like fireflies. Biting my lower lip and focusing on the words, I whispered quietly, "No. There's no need to go ahead. I won't fight. You win."

Kyri nodded, his eyes shining with the bright fire of triumph, and he said, "Then, I demand my prize for winning this duel." He held out a hand towards me. "The friend whose strength you used to enter this place and defeat Tim, the so-called hidden, secret member of BAIT whose existence only Doug knew. I think you call her Velvet...."

I bowed my head, wishing I could be away from this place. I had accepted the duel, I could now do nothing else than accept its outcome. I had gambled, and lost.

I....

Tore myself....

Away....

Shed....

This mortal shape.

I....

Felt her....

Leaving, leaving me....

Empty.

Beside me, I felt the great shape of the Black Unicorn, and at the hush which had come over the garden, I knew that she was visible to all. I held out my hand towards her, whispering, "I'm sorry." She bent her head towards me and gently blew in my face, understanding. It was both she and I who had decided to step down. She faced the President of BAIT, her ears flat on her skull, and slowly, reluctantly forced them up.

"No!"

We all turned towards the voice. Doug threw away the fencing foil, which unceremoniously fell in the grass, and shook his head. "No you haven't lost the duel. There is no duel. I refuse to fight as well!"

A stunned silence followed that statement, and eventually, Kyri waved in our general direction in a half-weary, half-dejected gesture. "Ah well, this is an outcome I hadn't expected." He shook his head. "Like you, Ariane, I suppose I must face the consequence of my lack of vision in this matter." He smiled. "What would you say we call this a draw?"

I nodded, feeling almost giddy with relief. "Yeah, sure, you got a deal."

Kyri grinned. "All right. Then, as BAIT's part, I simply request that Velvet spend her time among us visible to our eyes. After all, she's a member of BAIT, so there's no need for her to hide. And as for yours, besides freeing the Secretary of the Vice-President's whims, I'm sure we can find something suitable...."

As she heard this, the Black Unicorn 'ported herself beside the President, and licked his cheeks in agreement, and then did the same for both Vice-President and Treasurer as sign of welcome. Kyri followed her with a look of half-wonder, half-amusement on his face as she trotted back to Doug, 'ported him on her back and started proudly prancing around us like a filly.




I yawned. It was getting quite late, and even if Velvet didn't feel weariness, well puny mortals like me did. Kyri chuckled beside me. "I think we'll call this a day." I nodded silently and he went on, something like incredulity seeping into his voice, "I'd never have thought the conclusion would be even remotely like this, but all is well that ends well apparently."

I grinned at him. "Why, yes, a happy ending. But still, there's one thing...." I chuckled, unable to help myself as I looked at the Vice-President busy writing furiously on a sheet of paper. I tried to stifle laughter and failed, telling Kyri:

"'You're an evil man, Mr. President."

He smiled innocently at that, and we moved to leave the garden, while Tim kept on writing, while softly whispering as if intoning a chant:

"Touga is a slime with the subtlety of a concrete block, and I forsake him. I solely worship Kyri-sama. Touga is a slime with the subtlety of a concrete block, and I forsake him. I solely worship Kyri-sama...."




Well, I think that that's it. Yes, that's the end. Of course, on the morrow I went back to London to catch the Eurostar, but only Serge accompanied me. I think the other BAIT members needed a bit of time to adjust to the events of the day before. Velvet has stayed behind, apparently intending to take advantage of her now truly acknowledged membership, and have some fun with her new friends before coming back.

I wish them good luck with her.

Oh yes, one last thing. Upon entering the boarding area for the Eurostar, I said good-bye to Serge by kissing him on the cheek. A kiss for him, and also to bring back as a parting gift to everybody, and in particular the President, who after all yielded to unexpected and contrary events with a grace I have seldom seen. He's a dangerous man, that one. A really dangerous man....

I hope he will like my good-bye present.

*Grin*

End.


Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.