[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Yours Ever - Part 11

A Saint Seiya x X fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





"It's a waste of energy."

Sakurazuka Seishirou's whisper was so faint that I was the only person who heard it. Ignoring the half-bored, half-sulking tone there had been in his voice, I looked at him and replied, in earnest, "Nevertheless we have a deal you and I, ne?"

With a patient smile, he shrugged. "Hai, hai, I'll do what you ask."

I nodded, and called loudly to the others, "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go in!"

They nodded in silence, puzzlement written all over Kusanagi Shiyu's and Yuuto's faces. Yatouji Satsuki didn't even turn to acknowledge she'd heard me, as usual, and Monou Fuuma seemed wholly focused on the building in front of us. I looked up at the looming shape of Tokyo Tower and chuckled quietly to myself.

The last Seal.

I went in, with Sakurazuka Seishirou on my heels.

How fitting, said an ironic voice within me.

The lift door opened, and I carefully stepped out of it. We were in a great hall with high ceiling, and all around huge bay windows allowed the eye to see the whole city below. We had found the Tower closed to the public, which had relieved some distant part of me. With an inward sigh, I thought that even if there had been innocent bystanders here, it would have changed nothing. Even if they had died, what difference would it have made? They were all doomed anyway.

A slight sound broke through my train of thoughts, and I saw a group of seven people turning towards us on the other side of the hall.

The Seven Dragons of Heaven.

I felt power rising in the room, a tension so great it could almost have been touched. Before anyone could make a move, I went to Monou Fuuma 's side and said urgently, "You do remember, don't you? Our first goal is the Seal, and only the Seal. Once we're done, you'll be free to do all the killing you want, but first the Seal must be destroyed."

He nodded slowly, and smiled. "I remember. I shall obey your will." He looked towards a young man holding a blade that was twin of his own, and whose deep purple eyes were shining with desperate resolve. In a soft whisper, he added, "I'll relish this."

I bit my lower lip, letting him go. I could only hope...I could only hope that my judgement of Shirou Kamui had been accurate. In a flash, I felt again his strength as he had struck at me in the high school's gardens. I shook my head, well there was no help for it.

Around me, the six Dragons of Earth rushed towards their fated enemies. Six against Seven. They'd need my help.

Cosmo flaring.

I froze as the perception struck me. No. I turned around, in a slow motion, knowing what I'd see and desperately hoping I was wrong. Damn it, no! No, I don't want you here, you don't belong!

Seiya, Hyoga and Shiryu were facing me, wearing their Cloths. There was death in their eyes. I clenched my teeth. They left me no choice. I couldn't let them interfere, I couldn't let them kill me. I let the power of Andromeda flow through me and told them in a quiet voice, "You shouldn't have come."

They didn't answer, but I suddenly felt the aura of Cygnus shining brightly around Hyoga, and I knew what he intended. Kholodnyi Smerch. Shaking my head, I told him softly, "You underestimate me, my friend."

There was nothing I could do. He had chosen his death by coming and using an attack which gave me enough time to counter and attack myself. His death wouldn't be on my shoulders, he'd be the only one responsible.

As I started gathering the energy of the Nebula, he flung himself towards me.

Golden light.

Blinding.

Power, exploding right beside me.

Galaxian Explosion!

All of a sudden, someone appeared beside me. I blinked as the glint of a Gold Cloth caught my eye, and turned towards the newcomer.

Kanon, clad with the Gemini Gold Cloth.

I looked at my friends who had been violently thrown against the lifts and chuckled despite myself. "Good surprise effect." I gave the man a cold smile, asking him, "What are you doing here?"

He looked at me and sighed. "I'm doing what I must, and since killing you would avail us nothing--"

With a slow nod, I cut him off. "I understand." Something deep inside my heart went out towards this man. With no small bit of irony seeping in my voice, I told him, "Betrayal is in character for you, isn't it?" Something flickered briefly in his eyes and he bowed his head. I turned away from him, whispering softly, "Thank you...for more than I can say."

Focusing on the fights raging on the other side of the hall, I flung myself towards them.




"Hey, onii-chan, you're even better than I had thought!"

Sorata Arisugawa was grinning like a fool, the dark glint in his eyes belying his casual attitude. Yuuto chuckled, replying, "This is fun indeed."

Sakurazuka Seishirou and Sumeragi Subaru were locked in a battle of this magic called Onmyoujutsu, a cold smile on the one-eyed assassin's lips and a strange light shining in Subaru Sumeragi's emerald eyes, as if conflicting emotions were warring inside him. Doubts.... He had several scratches on his left arm and flank, and seemed unable to do anything else than to defend his life.

Monou Fuuma was striking at Shirou Kamui with all his might, and the young man was retreating, panic clearly written in purple eyes which shone with the desperate refusal of attacking one who was his dearest friend, of having to kill him....

Nekoi Yuzuriha stood, frozen in front of Kusanagi Shiyu, her face a mask of pain and sorrow. The ghostly wolf she called Inuki had its head thrown backwards and was howling silently. Grieving.

Kishu Arashi took a beautiful sword out of the palm of her hand and adopted a defensive stance. Yatouji Satsuki had a distant smile on her lips, and her expression was one of boredom, as if she found all these proceedings futile and meaningless.

A young man in a classical three-piece suit was fighting Nataku by using wind. He seemed strangely out of place here...a simple office employee lost in the middle of a fight that would supposedly decide of the Fate of humanity.

A beautiful young woman walked towards me, smiling a bit sadly. "Strange that we should be opposed in this, don't you think? I'd have hoped for another opponent."

I looked at her soft brown eyes and shook my head. "I have no wish to harm you Kasumi-san...none at all." Before she could answer, I quickly invoked, Nebula Stream!

The blast of wind savagely threw her against one of the bay windows. I looked at her unconscious body falling on the floor and hated myself for having struck at her, aware that I hadn't even let her a chance to defend herself. Hell, I couldn't play with codes and rules of honor. Honor was irrelevant here. I shook my head. All those fights were unnecessary. I didn't need any of them to die or to be hurt. The only persons who truly mattered were Monou Fuuma and Shirou Kamui.

The Kamui and his Shadow.

There was only one power which could break the last Seal.

One.

All of a sudden I noticed Shirou Kamui staggering backwards and leaning heavily against a wall, panting, losing blood through multiple deep cuts. There was nothing but despair in his eyes. Despair and refusal. I bit my lower lip, understanding. He couldn't kill, he couldn't even harm one he loved. I sighed, acknowledging what my eyes were showing me. Very well.

With a sad smile on my lips, I turned towards Sakurazuka Seishirou and Sumeragi Subaru.

Silent howl.

Tensing, I shot a quick look on my right. Nekoi Yuzuriha was lying sprawled on the floor, Kusanagi Shiyu's threatening shape looming over her. In a few seconds, she would be dead.

Damn it, no...I-- I couldn't do anything.

Power erupted beside her and a tall silhouette appeared in the center of a radiant golden aura.

Long, pure golden hair.

His eyes were closed and there was a slight smile on his lips, which might have meant satisfaction, arrogance, or anything. Kusanagi Shiyu stared at Virgo Shaka with fear and wonder in his eyes, trying desperately to free himself from the Gold Saint's hold, and failing. Do what you must, Shun.

There was no time to wonder about what the hell Virgo Shaka was doing. I nodded silently, and in the middle of the confusion, I invoked in a whisper, Nebula Stream.

Virgo Shaka sent Kusanagi Shiyu flying with a flick of his hand, while in front of me the arrow of wind born of the heart of the Nebula struck Sumeragi Subaru, making him lose his focus and forcing him to step back.

Then, Sakurazuka Seishirou smiled.




"No, please stop!"

The lift's door had opened, revealing a young girl who ran towards us, her long blonde hair flying behind her, sorrow and despair shining in her beautiful hazel eyes. Sorata Arisugawa turned his head towards her in a slow motion, whispering, "Oh, no...."

Arashi Kishu froze, her face livid.

The girl ran past them, seemingly unaware of their existence. The man in three-piece suit made a desperate attempt at grabbing her, but she escaped him, his fingers slipping on the end of her sleeve.

Shirou Kamui was staring at her, paralyzed, horror written in the lines of his face. Behind him, Monou Fuuma lifted his Sword above the one whose Shadow he was.

In the girl's eyes there were only two things. She cried out, "Stop! Onii-chan! Kamui-chan!" Monou Fuuma never heard her.

The Shinken went down.

The only thing disturbing the silence was the sound of blood dripping on the floor.

Crimson red blood.

"I love you both so much...." Slowly, Monou Kotori fell down, and her innocent hazel eyes closed. When her body hit the floor, a pool of blood started spreading around her.

Purity was dead.

An angel was dead.

Hope was dead.

"NOOOOO!" In a lightning quick move, Shirou Kamui 's Shinken described a perfect arc in the air.

Shock registered on Monou Fuuma 's face.

Disbelief.

Pain.

The Shinken was piercing through his chest.

Shirou Kamui violently freed his blade from his friend's body and stepped back, shaking his head. Trembling. His eyes were empty, unseeing. Softly he whispered, "No...." I looked at him, closing my heart to pity and pain, closing my soul to sorrow, compassion, guilt and self-hatred, denying despair, and watched, waiting.

The young man's hands closed around the Shinken's hilt, and the magnificent blade went up once more.

And then down.

And savagely hit the floor.




In China, an old sheet of paper on a black tower's door was abruptly taken away by the wind, torn to pieces. The name written on it ripped to shreds. And the ancient tower crumbled.

Free.




I fought to keep my balance, breathing heavily, with a single thought echoing in my mind, endlessly. It's done.

My right hand slowly opened and I smiled when I saw the delicate sakura petal in it. At the same moment, the illusion's hold was released and the image of Monou Kotori's corpse shimmered and faded into nothingness. Shirou Kamui stared numbly at his Sword planted in the marble floor, then comprehension dawned in his eyes, horror at the realization of what he had done.

Monou Fuuma laughed.

Sakurazuka Seishirou grinned at me and I nodded at the assassin with a smile, acknowledging that he had fulfilled his part of the bargain.

Then Darkness devoured the light of day.

The time had come.

I braced myself. Somewhere in the deepest, most hidden place of my soul, something cried out in terror at the thought of what was coming. No it had to be, it was right.

It was my Fate.

I shivered, feeling something cold, icy, dark invading me.

Instead of fighting the horrible sensation, I bowed my head and opened my heart, offered my soul.

Gave myself.




It hurt.

It was awful.

It was even more horrible than rape, because I made myself accept this.

Because I made myself welcome it, when every fiber of my being would have fought this to the death. It'd have been futile, no one could change Fate. My brother had been wrong the day he had told me that we were the masters of our lives.

Destiny was foreordained.

I felt Him invading my mind, my memories, I felt Him touching me, touching my soul in a way only one person had until now. Yuuto.... I buried his name in my heart, and made myself remember my lover's last words, and focus on the fury and hatred they had triggered within me.

Ice...I was nothing else but ice.

It was so cold.

So horribly cold.




So...I smiled slightly. It had happened as it should, and this body was adequate. The soul inhabiting it was fitting, its surrender and distress amusing as well as expected.

Good.




Once He had taken possession of my being, he discarded me.

Then my eyelids grew heavy.

Sleep.

I wanted to....

I had to....




Around me, the pitiful fights had stopped. A man whose right eye was blind was staring at me with fascination openly written on a face which rarely betrayed anything at all. With a silent chuckle I nodded, recognizing what he was and dismissing him from my thoughts. My eyes scanned the hall and I smiled when I saw two men in Gold Cloths and three in Bronze Cloths. Athena's Saints. The rest, I chased form my mind, pitiful human vermin without the slightest importance. Calmly I walked towards the Shinken.

One who'd serve my will. I smiled at the human with the dark eyes and he held out his blade to me. Slowly my fingers closed upon the hilt.

The Shinken.

Mine.

I turned towards the one who held the other half of what was mine, the one who'd fight my will. Deep purples eyes looked at me, but didn't see me, haunted as they were by horror and guilt. I chuckled, admiring the subterfuge the one I had Chosen had used to make this one break the last Seal imprisoning me. It was more than fitting. I gathered the smallest bit of my power and hurled the poor fool away from the perfect blade. The fingers of my right hand closed on it. The Shinken was about to be one again.

Power.

Infinite.

I looked up to see a radiant light cutting through the Darkness.

A young woman appeared out of nowhere, her beautiful purple eyes locked on me. In her left hand she was holding a Shield, and in her right a scepter holding Nike. Nike, who insured Victory to her Saints, or so legend claimed.

Laughing at her, I shook my head. "What folly made you come here, Athena?"

She stared at me steadily, and replied in a quiet voice. "I am the Guardian of humanity, and I shall not let you harm it. You do not belong on this world, Hades."

The three Bronze Saints around her gasped, and one of them bowed his head, whispering, "Oh sweet Goddess...Shun...."

Fools. I focused on the only one who might pose a threat to me and smiled. "You are wrong. The Time of Humanity has come. My Time has come."

With a fond smile, I turned towards a young man who had strange golden eyes and a face of an exquisite beauty. Gently I let my power brush him, and he fell backwards in a slow motion, puppet whose strings I had just cut, gratitude in his answering smile. As life left the shell who had imprisoned a child's soul, I faced again the Goddess of Earth, Wisdom and War, and told her, "Do you see? And your Time has come as well."

Carefully I gathered the two shining blades, resting blade against blade, and the Swords merged into one. I held it up. The true Shinken. "You cannot hope to defeat me now that I have that which is mine."

She bowed her head, and then looked up again, with a smile of infinite sadness on her lips. Shaking her head, she replied in a strangely quiet voice, "You are mistaken, Hades. I may die, it is true, but..." her voice reduced to a soft whisper, "love and purity will destroy you."

Staring into her violet eyes, I realized that she really believed in the truth of her last statement. I laughed at her, and told her with a derisive snort, "You are a fool, Athena, there is no such thing as true love or true purity in this world. We both know that your precious humanity's heart and soul are rotten and poisoned by darkness."

An unreadable light flickered in her eyes then, and her fingers closed on the Scepter's staff. "You forget, Hades." Focusing on me, she whispered, "You forget the Rules that have been set for your Choice. One whose heart is truly pure, one whose love for the world and every living thing shines brighter than a star...."




Now.

I forced myself to open my eyes.

I made myself bear the feeling of His presence within me.

He had discarded me, as I had expected.

I'd be given a single chance only, I knew that.

Gathering all the strength I had left, I reached out.




I shook my head, denying her words. No. No she was wrong. I had laid bare the heart and soul of the human being named Shun, and I had found what I always found in my Chosen. Pain, sorrow, despair, and acceptance of his Fate, understanding that there was no other way. I had exposed the most secret part of his being and hadn't found the smallest trace of rebellion. He had taken lives for me, he had killed the one he loved the most. He had denied himself and crushed his feelings...no human being could have done this in such a desperate gambit. No human being could have endured this, no human being could have sacrificed so much, it was ludicrous. No, if he had wanted to fight me, he'd have tried to resist and protect the Seals.

Power.

I blinked as the sensation reached me, and focused inward.

A shining spiral, whose infinite arms pulsed with the life of the one who was its heart, unfolding and reaching out to embrace--

My right hand lifted the Shinken.

What?




Hard...oh Goddess, it was so hard.




I tried to force my right arm to stop its movement, but it refused to obey.

Athena's eyes were set on me, knowing, full of love and sorrow. Cold anger rose inside me as I found myself forced to acknowledge that there might had been more than sheer stupidity in her words. No matter. They'd pay for their presumption, and he'd pay first. With a contemptuous smile, I gathered my power and struck.




Silently I cried out.

Pain.

Pain so intense.

So horrible.

My soul...ripped to shreds.

No....




My right arm was still refusing to obey me. I chuckled silently. Very well, since he was obviously enjoying this....




Too much...it was more than I could bear. I felt myself falling again.

Deep grey eyes.

A beautiful bird of fire.

Love.

You must be strong, remember? I'm sure you haven't forgotten why it's so important.

Ikki-niisan. I reached out to hold him back, but the vision faded, to be replaced by another.

Clear blue eyes watching me.

Fingertips touching me, so gentle.

Arms holding me.

Tenderness, infinite.

Acknowledging the bittersweet pain which had risen to engulf my being, eclipsing for a moment that of Hades' wrath, I nodded.

For them.

For love.




My right arm stopped moving, and I laughed.

Never take things for granted...never. Even for a god, it can prove to be a grievous mistake.

Anger became fury as the weak, distant thought reached me. How dared he?




I remembered the Dreamer with the strange cat's eyes.

I remembered his smile.

I remembered his looking beyond the horizon, and wondered. Discarding the futile question, I focused my mind on what mattered.

I remembered the mirror I had chosen.




The people present up the second floor of Tokyo Tower watched, unmoving, as the blade went down.




Pain raged inside of me, horrible. If I had been able to, I'd have smiled.

Nothing could stop it now.

I let the Nebula engulf my soul and all my power flew away from me.

My spirit held Death close, preventing Him from going away from me, and from very far away, I heard myself screaming.

I was Andromeda.

This Fate I had chosen.

This Fate I had accepted.

This Fate I had embraced.

This Fate I welcomed.




No...no it couldn't be! I gathered my power, all of it and struck.




Blood came into my mouth as the Shinken pierced through my body, preventing me from crying out again.

The Shinken, the only thing that could kill Death.

The weapon which could either save this world, or destroy it.

I lost my balance and fell backwards.

The blade inside me was cold.

It hurt.

So much.

So cold.

Tears were soaking my face, but I couldn't feel them anymore. I closed my eyes.

"Shun! NOOOOO!"

Something inside me insisted that the voice had been Yuuto's, and I smiled. I was really a fool.




The darkness all around was frightening. There was nothing here but coldness and pain, and the horrible sensation of falling for an eternity.

Suddenly something gripped my right fist and I felt something like claws tearing the skin of my knuckles. I felt blood running from the wounds and looked down to see a great bird of prey perched on my fist. I stared at it numbly, wondering how the animal could be here. It was beautiful, noble and strong.

Something was shining on its left talon. In a slow motion, I reached out towards it, careful not to frighten the bird, and it let me touch it. It looked like a silk ribbon, and there was something was written on it.

An ownership mark.

Mine.

No...not really mine. His.

I remembered and felt a faint smile coming to my lips while I unlaced the ribbon. Once I was done, the great bird turned its head towards me, its unfathomable eyes locked me, and I said in a soft whisper, "Go, and be free." As my words faded into silence, it unfolded its wings and took flight, disappearing in the darkness.

And I started falling again.

Feelings were gone from my heart. Memories vanished like mist, but somehow forgetfulness still managed to escape me, as if something deep inside of me prevented it from engulfing me.

There was something I had to do.

Fire.

Ah yes, of course. It was hard to distinguish myself from Death, His soul and mine were joined, our beings merged. It was He who refused sleep, His power which fought it. There was an easy and fitting way to put an end to this. I gathered my strength, my life, and forced it away from me, reaching out.

Tears burned my eyes as I saw a magnificent bird of fire fly past me, leaving the darkness for the light. There, it was done.

Now I could rest.

Now I could die.

Something soft enfolded me.

Fragile, delicate sakura blossoms petals.

Pure white petals.

Feathers, white also.

Carrying a gentle inner light.

Suddenly pain and fear left me, and I smiled.

The wings of petals and feathers protectively closed around me and I let oblivion engulf me with gratitude.

Free.

End of part 11.




On to Next Part.
Or back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.