[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Cheating Fate - Part 8

A Rg Veda fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





The shining crystal blade cut through the air, coming down towards me, but I ignored it, unable to tear my eyes from the motionless form of Kujaku. He was looking at me, his face devoid of expression. The only thing alive about him was his eyes. I would gladly have given away my life for him, I would have done anything... And I was nothing to him. A tool... An artifact one threw away once it had outlived its usefulness. I found myself yearning for death, for forgetfulness, for the end of the pain, for being unable to feel my heart being slowly ripped to pieces.

I flinched as the sword reached me, instinctively moving to avoid it, and cried as it pierced through my right breast, finding its way between the ribs. The shock made me throw my head backwards and it slammed violently against the concrete, tearing my gaze from Kujaku's.

Golden eyes.

Time stopped.

Ashura's face was right above mine, her eyes fixed on mine, feeding on the pain. She was smiling.

Ashura.

She was my friend. She had tried to protect me. She and Yasha had never lied to me. Distanlty, I felt myself spitting blood. The sun caught on the hilt of her crystal blade, and I saw two shining points. Jewels. Embedded in the hilt.

"The center of the Six shimmers... Black or white, Order or Chaos..."

There was no time. I had only one chance.

One.

Now.

My left hand shot out and closed on the sword's hilt under Ashura's fingers. She had a sharp intake of breath and I found myself smiling weakely.

"I... Want this world... To... To live for... You... I want you to be... free... My friend..."

I cried out as she tried to remove the blade from my body, but refused to let go of my grip on the hilt. I closed my eyes and wished I remembered a prayer... Wished with all my soul to be allowed to help her, no matter what the price would be. The prophecy left a tiny place for hope. For choice... Suddenly, I saw in my mind the two shining jewels and felt their light burning my soul. I tried to remove my fingers from the hilt, but I was unable to move. I cried, again and again, until I had no voice left to express the pain.




I was alone. There was nothing around me. Nothing else than a strange mist floating in the air. Suddenly, I saw a small dark shape not far away from me. I went to it and stopped in front of it.

A raven.

I smiled sadly. It was unmoving on the ground, as if wounded. I squatted down beside it and whispered :

"I remember you..."

I felt tears soundlessly running down my cheeks.

"Were those children right then ? Were you there only to bring me pain ?"

Suddenly, its eyes brimmed with moisture, and I wondered if ravens could cry. Gently, I told it :

"Don't worry, I would never believe that..."

"Fiona... Please Fiona..."

I held out a hand to the great bird, but couldn't touch it.

"Fiona... Oh please answer me..."

There was blood running from an open wound in my chest. A lot of blood. I felt so weak, so tired...

"Do not worry, she is much stronger than she looks."

I bowed my head, saying weakely :

"Forgive me... I cannot help you this time..."

My eyes closed, and at the same time I thought I felt something soft enfolding me, dark and comforting, soothing... Like giant wings closing around me. Gratefully, I let them draw me into the darkness.




Distantly, I felt something soft and furry against my right cheek. There was a strange familiar sound coming from very close to me. Very slowly, I opened my eyes, and found the half-sleeping form of Whiskers beside my head, purring contentedly. I smiled, thinking I was glad to feel his presence after the monstrous nightmare I had had this night. I tried to reach out with my right arm, but stopped immediately, unable to refrain a moan of pain. What ? I felt cautiously for my chest.

Bandages.

Dread gripped my heart. Then it had been... True... All at once, all the feelings and the pain rushed back to me and I buried my head on the pillow, wishing to choke the life out of me, wishing to die.

"Fiona..."

I froze. Fearfully, I looked up to see Ashura coming towards me. I shivered and she bowed her head, her eyes full of tears.

"I know... I know... You have every right to be afraid, but... I promise you... I... I'm your friend..."

There was only sorrow and guilt in her eyes. I whispered :

"Is it true ?"

She sat down beside me and nodded, smiling soflty.

"Yes... Yes you freed me..."

I shook my head.

"But how ?"

She asked gently :

"Don't you remember ?"

I gritted my teeth, fighting the tears and the howl of despair I could feel rising in my throat. Remembering hurt. It hurt too much. Ashura whispered sadly :

"Forgive me... I... I shouldn't have asked you that..."

Something half chuckle, half moan escaped me, and I said :

"Doesn't matter... Has no reason to matter right ? Past is past... The jewels on the hilt..."

She nodded.

"Yes, you... How can I explain this ? You took them in. They are now embedded in your left wrist. They are a part of you..."

She looked at me.

"Those jewels are the keys that unlock Shura-to's power. In a way, they can be seen as part of the seal that imprisons my dark side. In the past, they had been entrusted to two human beings for safe-keeping. It is only as I gained possession of both that the full power of the Ashura family could be mine..."

She smiled.

"Now that you have them in your guard, you are my priestess Fiona... And so long as you keep them, I will be safe. And I order you never to give them to me again."

I stared at her a long time, then said :

"Does this mean I have to go on living ?"

She nodded worldlessly and I looked away, smiling sadly and bitterly. Hell, I didn't want this. I couldn't live with my memories, I couldn't live with the pain. It was more than I could bear... But it looked as if I had no choice. Eventually, I found the strength to face her.

"Anyway, I'm glad you're back Ashura, I'm really glad..."

Very gently, she wiped away my tears.

"And I am happy you're here Fiona. You are the best friend I have ever had. I need you you know..."

I sighed, managing a sad little smile.

"Okay, okay... I won't desert you... Not if you ask me to stay... Tell me about Yasha..."

"I am perfectly all right, thank you."

I suddenly realised he had been present from the start, leaning against a wall, almost completely hidden in the shadows. He came to us and said soflty, holding Ashura close to him with his right arm and reaching out to me with his left hand :

"You saved Ashura. I thank you. For this, I owe you, I will owe you until the end of time..."

His fingers gently brushed my hair.

"I promise you you will never be alone again, we will always be there for you... If you will let us be your friends."

I sighed.

"Gods... I can hardly be rude enough to deny you..."

Ashura bowed her head.

"You know Fiona, I was afraid you would hate me."

I looked at her curiously.

"Why is that ?"

She bit her lower lip.

"Because of Kujaku... Because he hurt you for me..."

I laughed painfully.

"Don't worry, you're not responsible for his actions, I know that."

Damn it, how could the cursed pain be worse each time I thought of him ? Why couldn't I put him behind me and forget he had even existed ? A hand closed gently on my shoulder and I looked at Ashura. She was crying.

"I... I am sorry... Because this is my fault, even if you don't think so... I... Fiona, he has been on the other side of this door the whole time you were asleep. He... He has asked to see you..."

I whispered weakely :

"No..."

I shivered.

Yasha shook his head.

"I think you're making a mistake..."

No. I felt a raw fear devouring me from the inside. Unable to contain my sorrow, I cried :

"No ! You're already forcing me to live, you can't ask that of me ! You can't ! You can't !"

I shuddered feverishly as violent sobs shook me, rekindling the pain of my wound. Ashura's hand softly squeezed mine.

"We won't Fiona. You... I only hoped perhaps you could..."

I whispered furiously, fixing the ceiling.

"I will never forgive him. Never. He... Doesn't exist anymore. I know no one by this name. He *never* existed."

Anger and hatred were my only way to make the pain withdraw, if only a little. I had to find a way to go on. I had to. Ashura bowed her head.

"As you wish Fiona..."

I closed my eyes, whispering :

"Tell him to go... To leave my house... Promise me he'll go..."

I trembled, dreading to know he could be here, come in this room while I was asleep. Yasha sighed sadly.

"Okay Fiona, I promise you he won't come, I promise you he'll never set foot here again."

"Thank you."

End of Part 8.


On to Next Part.
Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.