[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Toys in the Palm of God - End

A Rg Veda x X fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





Distantly, I heard a deep rumble coming from the ground, and felt the floor shaking under my feet. The Tower was falling. The last of the dominos was falling. So slowly. As if to give us time to be afraid, time to try and flee, time to mourn... But I couldn't mourn any longer. I couldn't feel anything else than emptiness. I stared at the crumbling walls and ceiling, unmoving, shutting off the reflex which wanted me to run. It would have been useless. Calmly, I watched as a whole section of the ceiling was falling upon us. I smiled, embracing death.

Silence.

Flicker in the Flow of Time.

Ripple in the ocean.

Pebble in the pond.

I looked at the floating portion of concrete above my head, disbelieving. I looked around and saw the same thing, heard the same, absolute silence. Time had stopped.

Time was frozen.

Kamui shook his head, asking :

"What is going on here ?"

His voice was... Strange, ethereal. Suddenly, a light appeared through one of the cracks in the floor, its radiance increasing with every second, until we had to look away to protect our eyes. Distantly, I wondered if we had found the Kazamaku Ikari and chuckled silently.

A beautiful shining orb.

Blue.

A crystal sphere.

The Earth.

I walked a step towards it, and all of a sudden cracks appeared all around it, starting from the same point. Without knowing why, I wished I could hold it back together, rebuild it, like a child's puzzle.

Silently, the crystal ball shattered.

Light. So bright...

A shape... Slowly stretching.

A human being. Clothed in light. Turning slowly towards us.

Long, flowing blonde hair.

Gentle hazel eyes.

Pure.

Infinitely wise. Infinitely patient.

Kamui whispered, tears running down his face :

"Kotori...?"

The young woman walked towards us, smiling kindly. She stopped in front of Kamui and the fingers of her right hand caught his tears softly. She said gently :

"So, you have broken the Last Seal..."

Suddenly, I heard a sharp intake of breath, and I saw Steve falling on his knees, tears shining in his eyes and a radiant smile lighting his face. What he was feeling now was... Pure joy. Happiness. A sense of fulfillment. It was...

"The Time of Humanity has come..."

Kamui backed away suddenly, saying angrily :

"Who are you ? How dare you take an innocent's body ? Damn you if you have come to enjoy the end of your game !"

There was a deep sadness in her eyes. Sorrow.

"No... No, I do not play. This is no game..."

Her eyes had a distant look. As if she was seeing something very far away.

"Humanity is the responsability of its creators, but the gods are too busy fighting among themselves to do anything else than using it as a pawn in wars that have no end. You destroyed the Seals we placed on this world eons ago, to prevent any of us from harming it directly. Because some thought Humanity had to be given the chance to grow up on its own..."

She looked at us.

"I have been watching. I have been given the task of judging what would be done, should the Seals be broken on the Promised Day. You were given time to mature and prosper..."

Suddenly, I saw tears in her eyes.

"What I see is Death and Destruction. Pain and suffering. Wars, famine and poverty..."

She sighed.

"It may be we are responsible, I do not know..."

She smiled through her tears.

"But I have also seen kindness and generosity. I have seen beauty, I have seen love..."

She looked at us steadily.

"I am the Mother, I am the Protector. And I am also the Reaper. I do not take a Life when its Time has not come. I have been asked to judge, and my decision is this one..."

Her eyes fixed on Kamui's.

"Humanity is not the toy of the gods. Humanity is free. According to this, tell me... Tell me, child whose Destiny it is to oppose us... Tell me, is there still a place for hope in your heart ?"

He looked at her during a long time. Pain and sorrow raging in his heart. Remembering.

Flames.

Blood.

Death.

Pain.

Despair.

Endless.

It was all he had known. Everything that he loved had been taken away from him. Torn away from him. He bowed his head.

"No..."

He hugged himself.

"No... My heart is dead. There is only one thing I yearn for. Hope... It is a hollow word. A lie..."

Suddenly, he turned towards us. Smiling.

"But in truth, this question shouldn't be asked to me. When I gave up my hopes, I entrusted them. I gave them and my dreams to a friend for safekeeping... You should really ask her. She is the one bearing them now..."

My right hand closed on my shirt, the fingers tearing the cloth's fabric. No. No I didn't want that. The young woman turned her knowing eyes to me. Piercing through appearances and shields. Laying my soul bare. She asked gently :

"So... Fiona Watson, answer me then. Do you still have hopes to share with the Kamui ?"

I looked at her. I looked at Steve, at Ashura, Yasha, Yuzuriha, Sorata, Arashi and Karen Kasumi. I looked at the strange man I didn't know, I looked at Yuuto Kigai. I looked at Satsuki Yatouji. I looked at Sakurazukamori. A long time. At last, I faced the Goddess wearing a woman's body, smiling sadly.

"I have no more hope. I have no more dreams. I do not want to live anymore. My heart is dead. My soul is empty. For me, there is nothing left to live for. For myself, the answer to your question is no..."

I felt tears in my eyes.

"But for my friends... Yes, I hope for them. I dream for them. I want them to live. I want them to be happy. I love them. This I can share with Kamui. Kamui is my friend..."

She nodded.

"So be it..."

She smiled softly.

"Humanity shall live. Free of us. Free of gods, until the End of Time..."

She looked at Fuuma's body on the floor. She looked at the blood, and bent down in a gracious move, brushing his face.

"To you, who have suffered so much, to you, whose Destinies have been torn to suit our purpose, I give this gift..."

Suddenly, I heard a very weak sound.

A heartbeat.

"Let it be known that the Reaper never takes a Life before its Time has come. Never..."

Suddenly, she turned towards Steve and smiled fondly.

"My blessing goes with thee, my holy warrior. Thou art present in my heart..."

She closed her eyes.

"Fare thee and thy friends well..."

Suddenly, the light blinded us, and faded in an instant.

Kotori fell. Unconscious.

Kamui caught her and fell on his knees, holding her close. Weeping for joy. His left hand touched Fuuma's face, very gently, and brushed his hair. They were alive. I watched them silently. I watched as Fuuma opened his eyes and cried, holding both Kamui and his sister close. I watched impassively as I percieved the love they shared. Unable to cry.

Kujaku was dead.

No miracle was going to bring him back to life.

Fate hated those who cheated it.

I turned around.

Cherry blossom petals.

I caught one in my fingers and smiled. Well, this end was logical. I walked right in front of me, serene.




The hall's surroundings had disappeared. The only thing there was here was the magnificient cherry tree. And its Guardian. Patiently waiting. I stopped a few steps away and said :

"Well, if you want me, you'll have to come here. I don't feel like walking all the way. My lord..."

He chuckled softly and came to me, unheeding of the blood flowing from his wounds. His right hand stroked my face gently, and he whispered :

"Won't you try to kill me my lady ? Won't you try to avenge his death ?..."

Suddenly, I felt tears in my eyes. I felt pain. I felt a sorrow so great it was choking me. Hurting me. Crushing me. I smiled.

"What would be the use of that Seishirou-san ? He is dead. And that will not change. Nothing... Nothing can change that..."

Sobs shook me, and I fought the keening howl in my throat.

"And besides, if I could kill you... Then I would be like you..."

I looked at his one good eye.

"I remember the child gathering cherry blossoms in the park. You showed me that... I know this child still lives somewhere in your heart. And hurts. And I have no wish to have my soul trapped like yours. No..."

I chuckled.

"My only wish is death... Won't you grant it Seishirou-san ? Won't you end it my lord Hunter ?"

He looked at me during a long time, wonder in his eyes. Eventually, he bent down and kissed me softly, tenderly, holding me close. I didn't try to fight him. He whispered :

"The hunt has ended my lady..."

His fingers stroked my hair.

"And you are the winner, you who are not afraid of me, who are not afraid of death. You who refuse to hate and who can still feel..."

He smiled a bit wistfully.

"My choice was the right one, but I should have found you a bit sooner. You would have made a perfect heir. You would have been a good Guardian..."

I shivered, understanding at last why he had refrained from killing me all these times. Why he had protected me. His heir...

"In my own way, I do love you... And I have a gift for you my lady..."

He made me look at him, gently.

"But this gift comes with a price..."

His fingers brushed my right temple, and I felt...

A presence. So far away. So weak...

Purple eyes...

I cried :

"Ku...!"

His fingers soflty silenced me. He nodded.

"Your soul and his are bound so strongly... Any other man would have been absorbed by the Tree, but he is still fighting it. Holding on. For you. He is the most dangerous opponent I have faced... It is in my power to bring him back. If you are willing to pay the price I demand."

I gritted my teeth.

"You are wasting your time. I shall never give you the Jewels."

He smiled softly.

"But my lady, I have no interest in them now..."

His fingers brushed my face in a tender caress.

"When your child is born... Call her Sakura..."

Suddenly, I thought I saw tears in his eyes.

"Teach her not to fear the blossoms. And learn to love them yourself. This is my price for your lover's life."

I suddenly felt like laughing. Unheeding of the tears soaking my face, I nodded.

"I will gladly pay your price Seishirou-san."

His lips brushed my tears and he whispered :

"Thank you my gentle lady."

He went to the beautiful cherry tree and chanted soflty. Suddenly, I saw more and more petals falling from it, and then leaves. As if...

The tree was dying.

He was... He was killing the cherry tree... He... The cherry slowly became insubstantial, and gave way to a human shape with black wings. I watched during a few seconds, unable to react, and then ran towards them. I caught him as he was falling on the ethereal ground, freed from the tree's embrace. I fell on my knees, unable to bear his weight, and held him close, weeping openly.

I could hear his heart beating.

I could hear him breathing.

He was alive.

Alive.

At last, I remembered to look up to thank Seishirou for keeping his word, and saw him bending down a few paces away. Gathering cautiously a body in his arms.

Subaru.

For the first time, I felt pain coming from the Hunter. Sorrow... I wondered why he was letting feelings such as that reach him, and suddenly understood.

He was dying. I whispered :

"Seishirou-san..."

He smiled softly.

"Do not grieve my lady. Actually, this way is the best. Without him, my life would have lost its meaning... Farewell lady Fiona. May you find happiness."

They both disappeared behind a veil of blossoms, and I felt strangely sad. He was a monster. He had killed people. He had enjoyed hunting them, feeling their fear. He was evil... But I would always remember the gentle child. And know he had survived somewhere deep inside the Hunter's soul. And I would always feel sorrow for him. Hurt for him.

Something brushed my right cheek, wiping a tear.

"Fiona..."

I looked down.

Deep purple eyes.

A face so handsome it was a crime.

A radiant smile.

Love. So strong.

I buried my head in his chest, half laughing, half crying.

"Kujaku..."

He hugged me fiercely. I whispered :

"Damn cheat. You never could play by the rules, could you ?"

He rocked me gently, stroking my hair softly.

"No... But I never pretended I could either..."

Eventually, We got up, and he looked curiously at the place where the cherry tree had been.

"What happened ?"

I bowed my head.

"He freed you from the cherry."

He chuckled.

"You must be joking !"

I looked at him.

"No. He demanded a price and I agreed to pay..."

Suddenly, I saw fear in Kujaku's eyes.

"Love... What price ?"

I smiled, pressing myself against him.

"One I could afford. He wanted that our child be named Sakura."

He started.

"Our..."

I smiled innocently.

"Yes... Hadn't I told you ?..."

I hugged him and whispered softly in his ear :

"You are going to be a father my lord... My mother shall have her birthday present."

During a moment, he didn't move, then he kissed me with an infinite tenderness. There were tears in his eyes.

"Oh Fiona... I love you..."

He hugged me preciously and I closed my eyes, relishing the feeling of him, letting the memories fade slowly, safe in his arms. Suddenly, he drew me gently towards the others. Ashura ran towards us, weeping and laughing at the same time.

"Fiona ! Kujaku ! I'm so happy !"

Kuaku grinned.

"Hey ! Don't tell me you thought I was really dead ! Come on ! It's me !..."

He pretended to think for a few seconds, then asked :

"Say Ashura, would you mind being a godmother ?"

She looked at him a long time, then stammered :

"You... You... You're..."

He nodded happily. She hugged me tight.

"It's wonderful Fiona..."

Kujaku said brightly.

"Hey, I made the child too you know !..."

Ashura struck her tongue at him, and he shrugged.

"Oh well..."

He walked towards Steve and Karen Kasumi, who seemed very busy flirting. The young woman looked happy, for the first time since I had seen her in the hall. Steve turned towards us, and Kujaku cleared his throat.

"Steve, I wanted to ask you something... Er... Important..."

Steve looked at him with a little smile of his own. Likely he knew already.

"Would you like to be our child's godfather ? I can see no one better to protect her and help her to be wise..."

He nodded.

"Of course..."

I smiled at him. We had no need for words. I knew what he was feeling now. Just as he knew what I was feeling. Trust. And love.

I looked on the left, and saw Inuki worriedly nuzzling Yuzuriha. It would take her time to accept the death of the strange Dragon of Earth. But she was strong. On the right, Arashi Kishu was busy nursing Sorata Arisugawa's wounds, her wall down at last. And the damn fool she loved was enjoying himself mightily, playing the grieveously wounded hero. Beyond them I saw Kamui, Fuuma and Kotori. Together. Healed at last. Whole. Able to hope. To dream. And to love.

I smiled, refusing to let the knowledge that some Dragons of Earth were still alive daunt the happiness I was feeling now. Light and darkness couldn't be without one another. And we were free. Free to choose. Free to evolve. Free to find happiness.

Kujaku's right arm encircled my shoulders, bringing me softly close to him. His lips brushed my hair in a tender caress and I leaned against him, my heart so full of joy I thought it would burst. Suddenly, I chuckled : Seiichirou Aoki was already gone. He was likely back at his home, with his family, asking their forgiveness for being so busy with his work at Kadokawa... Our lives were our own again. This time, for good.

End.


Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.