[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Toys in the Palm of God - Part 12

A Rg Veda x X fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





"And so I must ask you to leave this place quickly..."

I stared at the blind princess, feeling dimly Kujaku's arm bringing me closer to him, as if in an attempt to protect me. There was a long moment of silence, and then Subaru said :

"What about you princess ? What will you do ?"

She smiled.

"I will stay. This is where I am supposed to be. I may not go."

Yuzuriha shook her head.

"But you can't do that ! You can't ! It means that you'll..."

Inuki gently rubbed his nose against the palm of her right hand, feeling her distress. Ashura said, deadly serious :

"If we all go, you will not be able to defend this place against them. The Seal on this Building will be destroyed, and you with it. Do you want to die so much ?"

Kamui hugged the Holy Sword, holding it close like a talisman. His purple eyes didn't let any feeling show.

"Why are you doing this Princess Hinoto ? Since your Dream warned you of their attack on this place, why not wait for them here and end it once and for all ?"

She bowed her head.

"Because you will die if you fight here. The Seal on this place is too weak. And besides it was Fated that the End would take place where the Last Seal is..."

Kamui swore.

"To Hell with the damn Fate ! I've had enough of being led by the nose in this, I've had enough of doing things 'because it is foreordained' ! My sole objective is to save Fuuma ! Not to fulfill a cursed prophecy !"

Arashi Kishu said reproachfully, as if addressing a child :

"You would be wrong to discard the Dreams. They do not lie. Would you seal our defeat simply because of a whim ?"

Subaru nodded, a strange light shining in his emerald eyes.

"She is right, Kamui. It changes nothing. We shall have our opportunity to fight them, and you yours to save your friend."

Kujaku chuckled suddenly.

"All this is very touching and charming, but you forget something important, Princess... Don't you ?"

She didn't answer. Kujaku sighed.

"Princess, I am a Seer. I do not claim to know what you have Dreamed, but you know more than you are telling us now. The Dragons of Earth will break the Seal on this place. Okay. Then they will move on to the last, where we are supposed to fight them. And what happens then ? What have you Dreamed ?"

She got up slowly.

"I cannot tell you. The Future is set... But... Fate..."

She hesitated during a few seconds.

"Fate must still be Chosen. And telling you might affect the choice... I cannot risk that..."

Kamui shook his head.

"But I chose Heaven ! Fate has been Chosen !"

Kujaku fixed the princess, holding me tight.

"No..."

His voice was distant.

"No, there remains a choice..."

Flicker in the Flow of Time.

Ripple in the ocean.

Pebble in the pond.

My heart skipped a beat. Because of us. Because of Ashura and me.

"And that is why we must accompany the Dragons of Heaven, isn't it ?"

The princess nodded.

"Yes. You must go, but..."

She turned towards the window.

"For good, or for worse... The fight between Heaven and Earth... It is not yours. Intervening would be... a mistake."

Ashura said indignantly :

"You expect us to watch without doing anything to help ?"

The princess bowed her head.

"I do not expect anything. I..."

There was moisture in her eyes.

"Warned you. Go now, before it is too late."

Damn it what did she mean ? What had she Dreamed ? Why not tell us ? Suddenly, Kujaku got up, holding out his hand to me and smiling.

"Come love, it's useless. She won't tell us. I don't think she can. It might change the outcome for good, or for evil... It is a risk she dares not take. I understand..."

I sighed, forced to admit he was probably right. But I didn't like it. As we came to the threshold of the room, I saw Ashura waiting for us. I tensed, fighting the reflex to run away. Remembering. But she came to us and hugged me gently, smiling. She whispered :

"I'm happy to see you're better now Fiona..."

I bowed my head, unable to look into her golden eyes.

"I am sorry... Sorry for what I said and did..."

She shook her head.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it. You're my friend."

I felt something warm filling my heart, and hugged her tight, whispering :

"Thank you my dear friend, thank you..."




The place was deserted. It was so strange. I had the feeling that the people's voices remained, haunting it. I looked at the panel on the front, and smiled bitterly. Tokyo Tower was closed for 'security reasons' until further notice. We were lucky the princess held enough influence to prevent innocents from coming here and get killed in the battle. I looked up at the Tower itself and felt something akin to awe.

Dragons.

Dragons fighting desperately to defend the Tower.

Dragon blood, painting the Tower.

Dragons. Weeping. Dying.

I shivered, feeling dread close its claws around my soul. I was afraid, terrified. I didn't want to go any further. As if somehow Fate could be changed if we turned back. As if the Vision could vanish as simply as that.

"Fiona..."

I looked at Kujaku.

"Come, the others are waiting for us..."

I nodded distantly, and went slowly towards him. As if in a dream. Wanting desperately to stop, but unable to. Spellbound. Cursed. Doomed. Kujaku's hand gently took mine and he drew me in.

The lift door opened noisily. The sound of our steps was resounding loudly in the hall. Suddenly, Yasha stopped, tensing.

There was someone standing motionless in front of one of the huge bay windows. Watching the city lights in the night. Yasha asked threateningly :

"Who are you ?"

The solitary shape turned towards us, chuckling.

"No enemy, rest assured. You are late..."

Seiichirou Aoki gave a start.

"Kasumi-san !..."

Kamui and Sorata nodded, apparently knowing her. She smiled.

"Why... Yes. I am flattered you remember me..."

She bowed, then walked towards us. Suddenly, I realised that under her coat she was practically naked. I felt heat coming to my cheeks, and suddenly Steve chuckled :

"My... It's fancy underwear you have pretty lady..."

She looked at him, a teasing smile on her lips.

"Oh... Is that a problem for you mister ?"

He bowed extravagantly.

"No at all my lady. It is very beautiful, and serves your charms well... Although a beauty such as yours really has no need of enhancement..."

She giggled.

"A gentleman ! It's been a while..."

I noticed Kujaku looking at her appreciatingly, and put myself in front of him, whispering :

"Now I'm gonna be angry..."

I hugged him and kissed him, denying the fear roving inside me. He held me close, whispering in my ear :

"Well my lady love, if that's what you do when you're angry... I guess I'll have to anger you as much as I can..."

Ashura chuckled. She looked at Yasha, who pretended he hadn't noticed her. I giggled. It was not difficult to imagine what she was thinking now, and Yasha's face was... Hilarious. Suddenly, Kamui's voice broke the mood.

"I am surprised you came here Karen-san..."

She smiled bitterly.

"Well... I usually work at this hour... And I certainly don't have the soul of a hero, but I had no choice. The Seven Seals. I am part of that. We must be seven, must we not ?"

She turned back to the view. In the East, the sky was slowly colouring.

Kamui smiled.

"Dawn comes."

I felt cold all of a sudden. The time had come. It was now...

Falling...

Hurt...

Dragon claws...

Falling down...

Domino falling...

Burning...

Kujaku was holding me. Preventing me from falling. I shook my head, closing my right hand against my left wrist. I could feel blood flowing under my fingers. I closed my eyes and bit my tongue, refusing to cry out. Damn the Dragons of Earth. Damn them to all the hells. It went on during an eternity, and suddenly faded back. Kujaku stroked my hair softly, tenderly, and at last I regained enough strength to stand on my own.

The sound of my blood dripping on the floor was the only thing disturbing the deep silence. Kamui looked at me, worried, and uncomprehending.

"Fiona... What ?..."

Ashura's face was grim.

"Another one ?"

I nodded.

"Yes. A Seal has just been destroyed. This one is the last."

Yuzuriha bowed her head, her eyes brimming with tears.

"The princess..."

I shivered, feeling ice closing around my heart.

Slowly, the lights of the city went down, and at last, the shining sphere of the sun appeared, its light blinding us during an instant.

Cherry blossom petals, brushing Subaru's cheek, and then mine. He caught one of the flowers and crushed it, saying in a toneless voice :

"They're here."




Seven. The bay windows shattered, and seven human shapes appeared in the hall. Someone chuckled, and I shuddered, recognizing the voice. Subaru moved to bar the way, saying grimly :

"This time I will not let you leave, Sakurazukamori."

He answered softly :

"You won't have to. Today I can give you all the time you need. And we are going to end it, aren't we Subaru-kun ?"

Kamui whispered suddenly :

"Fuuma..."

There were tears in his eyes, confusion, uncertainty, pain and love. The other came towards him, a feral smile on his lips. Evil. Yuuto Kigai walked slowly towards Sorata, smiling, and Sorata pushed Arashi away, saying :

"Hey mister, do we get to end what we had begun ?"

Yuuto Kaigai nodded.

"Of course, and this time we won't be interrupted I hope."

Sorata sighed.

"I must say it was highly frustrating. So, let's get to it !"

Suddenly, I felt despair, and turned on the left to see Yuzuriha confronted to the man we had met in the Sunshine 60 building. The man she knew. The man who could see Inuki. The man she couldn't resolve herself to fight. Curse it ! I made as if to go to her, and Kujaku held me back, whispering urgently :

"No... We must not intervene, remember what the princess said..."

At the same time, Fuuma raised his Holy Sword, sneering.

"This world will be cleansed of the human vermin contaminating it. This cancer named humanity shall not gnaw at the Earth any longer."

The Shinken went down.

Kamui cried.

"Fuumaaaaa !"

Two voices intoned a chant.

Chaos broke loose.




No... I gritted my teeth. Dammit, I couldn't stay aloof like this. I couldn't watch and do nothing to help. I looked desperately at Yuzuriha, bleeding and unable to attack her opponent, I looked at Kamui who couldn't make himself strike at Fuuma... Suddenly, Steve sighed.

"Okay, I've had enough. Advice or no advice, I must act..."

He smiled.

"And anyway, I never was really part of your group, so the princess's words do not apply to me."

Kujaku nodded.

"Thank you Steve. I only wish..."

Steve shrugged, still smiling.

"Don't worry about it..."

He unsheated his saber in an imposing move.

"This blade was blessed by the Goddess. And it will cut down anyone who interferes with the mission She gave me..."

He chuckled.

"To protect this world..."

He ran towards Karen Kasumi and Yuzuriha, who seemed to be the ones needing help the most. At the same time, I felt...

Sorrow. Infinite.

Sorrow at failing to keep a promise.

To come back.

To love.

To protect.

Shimako-san. Yuka-chan.

Seiichirou Aoki. He was... In a flash, I saw the strange, alien man I had freed in the Sunshine 60 building holding him in the deadly grip of some kind of hard and sharp ribbons. Bleeding. Defenceless. About to...

"No !"

Dimly, I knew I was the one who had cried. Before Kujaku could hold me back, I rushed forward, and slammed down my saber on the ribbons. Severing them instantly. I put myself between Seiichirou Aoki and his adversary, panting.

Golden eyes. Alien.

"Get out of my way."

I shook my head.

"No ! Gods, stop this nonsense, you don't want to do this, I know ! Stop it !"

Regrets.

Determination.

Absolute.

Suddenly, the ribbons closed around my arms, my waist and my throat. Squeezing. Drawing blood. Choking...

"Fiona !"

Abruptly, I was freed and I felt the heat of flames brushing my face.

Ashura.

Kujaku caught me and dragged me away, forcefully.

"Damn you, are you mad ?"

Angrily, I said :

"We can't just stand there ! We can't !"

He bowed his head.

"We must."

Suddenly, I felt rage filling my heart and whispered icily :

"No. No I refuse to accept that."

I pulled away savagely, and cried to the man with golden eyes :

"Don't do it ! You don't have to fight !..."

I stopped in front of him, shielding Seiichirou Aoki. Pleading.

"Believe me..."

I let the saber fall on the ground.

"You are free. You do not have to obey to something your heart refuses... You are free !"

Confusion.

A garden.

Mother. Father...

Happiness...

Memories. Frightening.

A little girl, laughing...

A name.

Suddenly, I understood. I looked at the beautiful golden eyes, and felt tears on my cheeks. I looked at the alienness of the young man's look and knew. Oh Goddess, what had been done to the child... To live in a body not your own, to remember and then forget, to have your soul... Trapped... I whispered :

"Please, Kazuki... Remember..."

He winced, as if I had struck him physically, and his face contorted with pain. The terrible pain of memories. Of blood. Of death...

"Please come back... Come back Fuuma... I can't..."

The young man whose body was the prison of a child's soul whirled around. Kamui was trying to defend himself while avoiding to strike at Fuuma.

"I can't hurt you..."

A terrible certitude gripped my heart. Kamui was going to die. Fuuma was too far gone. And Kamui would die because of his vow to protect Fuuma. Nothing coud prevent that, there never had been any hope. Never. Fuuma laughed at Kamui's pain and distress, ready to deal the killing blow. As if in a dream, I saw the Shinken move up and down in a perfect arc, and saw again Kotori's death, remembered...

Blood.

Blood dripping on the floor.

Bright. Red.

Death, inscribing itself in beautiful golden eyes. Claiming a prey who had belonged to it for years. I hugged myself, shaking. Why ? I hadn't even seen the young man's move as he had interposed himself in front of Fuuma, taking the blow intended for Kamui. He smiled, saying softly :

"A life for a life..."

His eyes were locked on Fuuma's.

"I killed your father... You look so much like... Daddy... I am sorry... I wish... Now I give you back what I took... My life for your dearest friend's... Forgive me..."

He fell slowly.

I cried.

Kujaku held me.

Subaru looked at the yound man falling.

Confusion shone in Fuuma's eyes.

Seishirou Sakurazuka moved like the wind. Smiling.

Memories.

Gentle hazel eyes. Laughter.

Child. So grave.

Vow. To protect. Protect them both. Love them.

Koto...

Wall. Slammed down. Savagely.

Death struck.

Subaru turned his head towards his enemy, in a slow motion.

Disbelieving.

Looking at the blood flowing from the gaping wound in his chest.

Falling.

His enemy caught him. Held him close, whispering :

"So this is the end Subaru-kun..."

He touched his lips to Subaru's in a gentle kiss.

"Farewell... My love..."

Sakurazukamori carefully lowered Subaru's body on the floor and stroked the young man's hair, fondly.

I watched. Unmoving. Paralyzed. Subaru... Seishirou Sakurazuka stood and looked at me, smiling softly.

"So... My lady, the time has come to end this hunt."

I didn't even feel fear in my heart. I knew I didn't stand a chance, I knew I was going to die. And dimly, I wondered if I cared.

"Love... I promise you he will not have you. I will not let him harm you..."

Kujaku's lips brushed my hair, and he moved in front of me, facing the hunter. Sakurazukamori chuckled.

"It's kind of you to come to me..."

Kujaku didn't answer. Suddenly, He revealed his wings, and threw himself forward. Towards the enemy.

No... I closed my eyes. Cursing myself, hating myself for not being strong enough. For letting him do this. When I knew...

"Fiona..."

Someone was hugging me gently. This presence...

"Trust him..."

Ashura... I looked at her, and wished I could be as sure as she was. I couldn't look back, I didn't dare watch Kujaku fight. I bit my lower lip. I wanted to do something, anything. Suddenly, she hurled a ball of flames towards debris who were threatening us and giggled.

"There, see... Nothing can happen. We're gods !"

I felt a smile coming to my lips, unbidden. I said :

"Thanks Ashura, thanks my friend..."

She shrugged, proud of herself.

"It's okay. Yasha has gone to help Sorata, leaving me alone with you, and I want to do something too you know..."

Abruptly, she tensed, cursing.

"Dammit !"

I looked on the right, and saw.

Kamui. Bleeding. In terrible pain. Weakening. Barely able to lift the Holy Sword to counter Fuuma. He still couldn't attack. Paralyzed by his promise. Because he didn't know how to bring his friend back. Because the only thing in his power was to kill. To destroy... And also because... I felt tears burning in my eyes. Because nothing could ever bring Fuuma back. Kazuki's sacrifice had been in vain. He/she had died for nothing. As would Kamui, and as would billions of people after him... No. I cried :

"Fight him Kamui ! Fight him ! Do you think Fuuma would want to kill you ? Do you think Fuuma would want to live knowing he killed you and Kotori ? Do you think Fuuma would want to live like this, his soul crushed by evil ? Free him ! It's the only thing you can do, and you know it's what he'd ask if he could !"

At the same time, Fuuma's Shinken prepared to strike again.

Pain.

Despair.

Heart ripped to shreds.

Weeping soul.

Resolve.

Sorrow.

Determination.

During a fraction of a second, Fuuma hesitated, a weird light in his eyes.

Long flowing blonde hair...

Soft, innocent hazel eyes.

Purity.

Gentleness.

An angel...

Ko... To... Ri...

Oh gods... Fuuma... Kamui's sword struck and Fuuma tried to avoid it in a confused move. Blood flowed on the floor. From both of them. Kamui faced his friend, panting. Fuuma was trembling. His eyes were haunted.

Flaming arrow.

Piercing through my heart.

Burning.

My fingers closed on my chest. Gods, what was this shooting pain ? What ?... I turned around.

A cherry tree. So beautiful.

Pink blossom petals, so pure.

Black feather on the floor.

Sound of blood slowly dripping.

Ku...

Right wing torn.

Half encased in the cherry's trunk.

Pain and despair in his purple eyes.

Kujaku...

Someone grabbed me, preventing me from going to him.

"Don't Fiona, it's a trap, don't..."

I fought the hold, I fought it with all my strength, to no avail.

"No, it is no trap my lady..."

Seishirou Sakurazuka. He was smiling.

"No trap, no illusion but the truth..."

Distantly, I noticed he was severely wounded too.

"I have a proposition to offer you my lady... A way to save your lover and make the Dream lie. The only way..."

I freed myself from Ashura's hold and walked to my enemy.

"What is it ?"

I stopped a few steps from him. Refusing to acknowledge my feelings, refusing to let my heart take over. He chuckled.

"I thought you would have guessed... The Jewels. Give me the Seals of Chaos, and he will live."

Of course. I felt a smile on my lips. He was right, I should have known and expected this. I looked at Kujaku. I looked at the man I loved. I looked at the man for whom I would gladly have given my life and felt a strange ache in my chest. Ashura was right behind me, but she said nothing. Trusting me. And the gods knew one didn't deserve trust from anyone. The gods knew one was selfish. My fingers closed on the jewels encased in my wrist. The gods knew one hated humanity, and the pains of this world. I turned back towards Sakurazukamori, who asked soflty :

"So, my sweet lady Fiona, what is your decision ?"

The gods also knew I loved my friends. And that I never wanted Ashura to have to be the embodiment of Chaos again. So I said :

"I am not and never have been your lady. You are about to kill the only person who can claim I am his . And there is nothing I can do about it. May your soul never know rest or peace Sakurazukamori. No one will ever have the Seals. You have lost."

He looked at me during a long time, and then said gently :

"I do not think so."

He chanted softly, and I watched as the cherry tree absorbed the body of Kujaku, helpless. Just as he was about to disappear, I saw a smile on his lips, and then he vanished with the cherry.

Cold. I shivered. It was so cold...

A small black feather came to me, and I kissed it tenderly, letting it go. Distantly, I saw a wall of flames as Ashura was preventing Sakurazukamori from coming closer, and I was gently pulled away.

"Fiona..."

He was dead. Kujaku was dead. Gone. Forever.

My whole body shook.

Fate had refused to be cheated again.

The Dream had been true. As I had always known it was.

"Intervening would be... a mistake"... The princess had warned us. She had known. And I...

I had refused to stay aloof.

I had gone against what had been written.

Because of me, Kujaku had fought one of the Dragons of Earth.

Because of me, he had... Died.

It was my fault. Mine.

I had killed the one I loved.

Why wasn't I crying ?

Why weren't there tears in my eyes ?

Why wasn't sorrow filling my heart ?

Why was there only emptiness ?

Why couldn't I feel anything ?

A clash, so distant.

A deep sound.

The earth, shaking.

Cries. Pain.

Death.

Dragons.

Their claws tearing the world apart.

Their Fire scorching the earth.

Dragons.

Destroying everything.

"Fiona !..."

Ashura was shaking me desperately. Tears soaking her face.

"Fiona !... Please answer me ! Answer me !..."

I looked at her curiously, wondering why she was so sad and worried. There was no reason. Everything was going on as the Dreams had said it would. Kujaku was dead. The Dragons were fighting and dying, and when they would all be dead, the world would die as well. Wasn't it what was supposed to happen ? Wasn't this what Fate or the gods wanted ?

"We have to do something, we have to ! Fuuma and Kamui, they are going to kill each other..."

A child, laughing. Playing with her parents.

Horses gallopping in the fresh morning air.

A young man watching his sister with so much love in his eyes.

A child playing with his friend, gathering cherry blossoms to offer them to his mother.

A child promising he would always protect the two people he loved.

A man with purple eyes holding me close. Touching me. Loving me.

A light shining in the darkness.

Happiness.

Hope.

Ice. Cold. Encasing my heart. Freezing my soul. Unbreakable shroud.

Pain so great it couldn't be expressed, had no meaning, was not human.

Night.

Falling.

Darkness.

Forever.

I looked at my friend, and wanted to tell her to let me be. To tell her it didn't matter anymore. That I didn't give a damn. But she did. She did, and she loved me. She trusted me. Even though my heart was dead, even though my soul was empty, I couldn't abandon her. And perhaps we could make Fate pay for this. Fate or whoever was responsible. I whispered :

"One Seal, undone and yet unbroken..."

I chuckled joylessly. I understood now. I was a living Seal. And I knew what to do. I said to my friend :

"Ashura, unsheathe Shura-to please..."

She gave a start.

"Trust me..."

I smiled sadly.

"I want nothing more than death, but I would never hurt you my friend. Please, take Shura-to. And trust me..."

She nodded slowly, and drew the beautiful crystal sword in her right hand. Gently, I closed my left hand above hers on the hilt, ignoring the burning pain in my soul. For Kujaku, I would make Fate kneel down. I would defeat it. Ashura gasped as the power flow reached her and filled her, and I felt the fear, the terror in her heart. I said gently :

"Don't worry, I still have control. And I won't let Chaos reach you. Now let's end this nonsense."

She nodded, smiling back, and we both ran towards the two Kamuis.




They never saw us coming. Shura-to traced a shining arc of light, striking the two Holy Swords. And they broke. And the blades fell loudly on the floor. Suddenly, my hand freed Shura-to and I fell on my knees. Exhausted. The pain seemed to be very far away. The feelings were dead again. It was done. It was over. Now I was going to be free to...

Fuuma fell down.

I looked at the pool of blood spreading around him, and remembered. When Kamui had struck, he had hesitated. His memories had tried to come back, and during a fraction of a second he had been unable to protect himself. And Kamui had touched him. Had killed him. The young man kneeled down and gently took the body of his friend in his arms.

"Fuuma..."

Tears were slowly running down his cheeks. His pain... His sorrow... Unbearable. I nodded, understanding. Suddenly, he let him rest on the floor and looked at the battlefield. He laughed suddenly.

"You can stop it now... All of you..."

He stood up and cried :

"Show yourself. You who decided this was going to happen. You who shaped Fate ! Show yourself and fight me ! I deny you, I defy you ! No matter who you are, god or no god, you had no right to do this ! And I am going to make you pay ! Come !"

There was a long silence, and no answer. No sound. He bowed his head, smiling.

"Very well..."

Kamui said soflty, gently :

"You will not have toys to play with anymore. I will deprive you of your playground. You will never hurt us again."

I felt an answering smile coming to my lips. This... It was what I wanted too. I felt a bit of regrets for the others, but there was nothing I could do. Kamui gathered his strength and struck.

I cried out as the pain blinded me, unable to feel Ashura's arms holding me. It was done.

The Last Seal was broken.

End of Part 12.


On to Next Part.
Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.