[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


The Tree of Blood and Hope - Part 2 : The Drow

A Tokyo Babylon x Eald Wood Novels fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





The shining mist lifted during a few seconds as I shifted back to the human lands.

Humans !

I avoided a steel blade, diving back into Faery, and winced, shuddering, as the ghostly sword ran through me.

Iron.

I looked back at my companion, and suppressed a smile as I saw him looking at me with wonder and desperately trying to avoid being struck himself. I shook my head and told him :

"Don't waste your time and energy, mortal weapons cannot touch you in my lands. You are safe."

He said dubiously :

"But you seemed to be affected by that blade..."

I smiled bitterly.

"Iron. Sidhe cannot bear iron. Iron is why we had to draw back when humans invaded our lands. Even though that sword didn't hurt me, I felt the revulsing cold of iron touching me..."

I looked forward.

"It doesn't matter. We must go on quickly, and find the drow. We must find them and stop them."

I released Meara and she glided forward, through the shining mist of Faery. I heard Ciataich following, and at the same time my companion's voice came to me.

"Why are you afraid ?"

I ignored the shadowy shapes of the humans ineffectively trying to strike at us, I didn't smile when I noticed their terror as they saw two shining ghosts running through them. They were so many. So many... And we were very near the burial ground. They had no place here. I sighed.

"Can't you see ? They... Humans should be terrified of coming a league from this place. They believe it is cursed. They are right. They do not belong here. And the fact that we were met by those soldiers..."

I bit my lower lip.

"It means that the drow have already extended their influence to mortal lands, it means they have been slowly infecting human minds for years, nightmares, visions the humans had no way to comprehend or fight... They were ready. They expected someone to come and wake them fully..."

And that person, the one who has waked them...

My heart skipped a beat and I asked him :

"Your companion... Does he have the Sight, does he have the Gift too ?"

Suddenly, Ciataich came to Meara's level, and Sakurazuka Seishirou smiled softly, his eyes glittering. His right leg brushed mine as he said :

"Yes, he is powerful... And potentially... The most powerful magician I know. Why ?"

My left hand clutched the Dreamstone, seeking its warmth to fight the cold invading my heart. I stared steadily at Sakurazuka Seishirou.

"The drow must have waited for someone exactly like him. They would already be extremely difficult to fight if they had chosen a normal human being, but since they chose a gifted one... Expect that your companion's latent talents will have been developped fully. And..."

I shook my head.

"Forgive me, but expect whatever there might have been between you to be no more. Expect his soul to be dead. Expect only drow darkness and hatred. It might be some part of him still exists, but we dare not hope so. Do you understand ? I am sorry..."

He looked ahead, his eyes hard.

"Don't concern yourself my lady. I know Subaru-kun... One part of him will have survived. His soul simply cannot be devoured that easily or quickly. It cannot. I will not let anyone do this to him..."

He gritted his teeth.

"He is mine. Mine."

I bowed my head.

The passion burning in his voice was almost frightening... Strange that a human should feel so strongly. That such a strong bond could exist between mortals... But then Sakurazuka Seishirou was by no means the average human being. More like us, disturbingly like us, and unlike us : calm, sure of himself, cold, emotionless, until something touched him truly and revealed the fire burning inside of him... But the darkness in his soul... That was cause for concern...

I sighed. There was nothing I could do about this anyway. I lifted my head and for the first time gently touched my heels to Meara's flanks.

"We must fly... Hang on to Ciataich's mane, he won't let you fall..."

I patted Meara's neck, and asked her and Ciataich :

"I need you my friends. Run, run like the wind, fly faster than our thoughts, defeat time for me..."

I ignored Sakurazuka Seishirou's sharp intake of breath as both Sidhe horses threw themselves forward and brought us towards darkness.




There was a shadow in the mist. The light seemed pale, as if weakening. Their was a chill feeling to the air around us. We had to be very near now. I gently slowed Meara, focusing on what my senses were telling me. Everything seemed quiet. As if this land had remained untouched. No human presence disturbed this place. The only feelings came from Meara and Ciataich's breathing, and from Sakurazuka Seishirou...

Rustle of leaves.

Coldness.

Danger.

Movement.

In a swift and fluid movement, Meara slowed to be at Ciataich's level. Sakurazuka Seishirou looked at me, uncomprehending, and suddenly tensed. In a gesture too swift to be percieved correctly, I unsheathed my sword and blocked a dark blade a few inches from my companion's open back.

Absentmindedly, I heard Sakurazuka Seishirou placing himself beside me to confront the threat. No matter. I felt a feral smile coming to my lips, and watched the enthralled shape in front of me. I said softly :

"So... Are you such a fool that you did not know whom you would be fighting, little one ?"

I laughed, letting outrage and anger reach my heart.

"Poor stupid creature ! How dare your masters send me an inept being like you ? This is an insult I shall not forgive."

The shadow tried to retreat, but my blade caught it before it could make a step. A pitiful cry rose and died in the air as it disappeared. I turned towards my companion, who looked at me closely for a while and then bowed.

"I thank you lady. You saved my life."

I nodded silently. The fury was already receding. That the drow dared use the lowest of Sidhe they had turned to darkness against me... It was unconceivable. But then... I chuckled silently.

They are cunning, indeed...

I shifted back to human lands, and got down from Meara.

The forest here was even more sinister. All the trees were rotten or dead. There was no feeling of life to the place. As if light had been banished forever. Meara whinnied softly, frightened, and I gently stroked her neck, trying to reassure her. I looked at Sakurazuka Seishirou and told him :

"Come down, we will continue on foot."

He obeyed, and I said gently to the horses :

"I thank you for your help my friends. Go now, be free and go back where light and life prevail."

Both steeds vanished in a swirling of wind. I smiled. I had been right to send them back, they were brave, but I didn't want to lose them to darkness. My companion came to me and asked :

"Why did you do this ? Why come back to this land where we are vulnerable ?"

I looked at him and chuckled.

"Man, Sidhe lands never was a place for humans. It was convenient for a while, but now that we have reached the drow territory... I could have gone on, but you would have been my weakness, you would have been a burden. The creature that attacked... It aimed at you, it knew better than to even look at me. You were its target, because even though you have the Sight, your eyes and your mind cannot see and feel in the land of Faery, they are confused. The drow expected me to be engulfed in anger at their disrespect, and go on. Sooner or later they'd have sent against us enough to occupy me and kill you..."

I shook my head.

"They know that if I brought someone along, it is because I need this person's help... Even though they certainly do not suspect that I gave you my Name... They went for the weakest point..."

I faced him suddenly.

"It means they felt you. I was hiding my presence and yours. I expected to be discovered at one point but not so early. There is only one thing that explains this : your presence was felt by the one who was your companion. He knows and expects you..."

I smiled.

"Let's not disappoint him. This side of the land is no more dangerous for you than it is for me, and besides here there is no human to attack us with iron, here there is only the drow, and the Sidhe who turned to darkness..."

My hands closed on the hilt of my sword.

"Will you accompany me to the heart of darkness Sakurazuka Seishirou ?"

Suddenly, his right hand soflty brushed my right cheek and he smiled.

"There is a wild fire burning in your heart my lady of the Daoine Sidhe... You and I are much alike..."

He chuckled.

"Yes I will go with you, and show you I am more than a burden..."

Gently, I took his hand away from me, and said :

"If I really thought you to be a burden, I would never have asked you to come..."

I turned from him and faced the dark way leading into the heart of the burial grounds. Leading to the drow.

"Let's go, we have lost precious time."




I looked at the clearing in front of me, careful not to let my face show what I was feeling inside. The trees I had planted to mark each grave were all dead. Those trees had been the children of the one which was Eald's heart, and that such trees had died, rotten... A cold, icy mist was covering the woods. It felt as if Winter was the only season tolerated here. I walked a few steps towards the ancient tombs, unheeding of the threat I felt very close to us, and put one knee down, brushing the earth with my fingers.

Emptiness.

Death.

Hatred... So intense...

I shivered, and stood up. At the same time, I felt a presence very near and cried to my companion :

"Beware !"

I turned around, just in time to see a shadow detaching itself from the trees, a few steps away from Sakurazuka Seishirou.

A young man.

Delicate... Almost fragile...

Deep, beautiful emerald eyes... In which there should have been nothing else than purity...

Power, and... Hatred.

Burning.

Infinite.

My companion smiled slightly.

"Subaru-kun... I have been looking for you..."

The other bowed, smiling back.

"Have you ? Be happy, you found me. Welcome, Seishirou-san..."

He laughed.

"Welcome indeed, Sakurazukamori. I have been wating for you, you are late..."

He took a step towards my companion.

"It is time to end it, Hunter..."

He cocked his head to the side, smiling contemptuously.

"You disappoint me, I had expected you to come here sooner."

Sakurazuka Seishirou took an involuntary step back, shaking his head.

"This is not you Subaru, who is this ?"

The other crossed his arms on his chest, laughing happily, his eyes glittering with hatred.

"Oh... It is not ? But are you not happy... Seishirou-san ? Am I not what you tried to turn me into ? Am I not what you wanted me to be ?"

He walked yet a step closer.

"Will the game not be so much more fun now ? I will relish crushing your soul..."

Suddenly, I felt other presences all around the clearing. The trap was closing. It was time to react, I had let the drow play long enough. He was the most dangerous opponent, so I moved beside Sakurazuka Seishirou and said, smiling deceptively softly :

"Enough. I am tired of this..."

Before I could go on, the emerald eyes turned on me and beyond them I saw...

Light blue eyes.

Happiness.

Laughter.

Love.

Strength.

Oh no... No it couldn't be... I whispered :

"Bainlinn..."

Distantly, I knew Sakurazuka Seishirou was fixing me with both curiosity and worry in his eyes. My fingers squeezed the Dreamstone on my chest, desperately. I wanted to close my eyes, be back in Eald, where the moon and the stars gently lit the tree leaves, where there was peace... Where I could forget... The drow said softly :

"Too late... It is far too late my beloved sister. You should never have left your forest... You never should have, Siodhachan..."

I felt an immense sorrow washing over me and shook my head slowly. It could not be true... It could not ! I had thought him dead during the war. Suddenly, I found myself wanting to run from this place, to run beyond his reach, to leave this land to darkness and rejoin my kind beyond the Sea... But I could not. He held me. He knew me. He had my Name. He was my brother and... I felt darkness closing around me and dread in my heart. I had only one thing to do, one chance. So I freed myself from his eyes, took my Dreamstone off my chest, and tossed it to Sakurazuka Seishirou, giving him my memories and my dreams, my hopes, my soul... Without turning away from the drow, I told my companion :

"The clearing is surrounded. Guard my back, the others should disappear once this one is no more. I... Trust you to use what I gave you..."

There was no answer from Sakurazuka Seishirou, but I could feel his fingers closing around my Stone as if they were closing around my heart.

Cold.

Emotionless.>

Merciless.

I bowed my head.

Better that than the drow...

I unsheathed my sword and ran towards the drow who had been Bainlinn. I was running out of time.

His blade caught mine, and we both turned slowly. I had lost sense of what was happening in the clearing. He had drawn me into what could have been Faery, but dark. There was nothing but shadows here. I freed myself and he attacked at the same time. I parried with difficulty, wincing under the strength of the blow. He smiled.

"Tell me my sister, why do you fight me ? Tell me, Siodhachan..."

My left hand closed on my blade and I pushed him back savagely. I couldn't win, not here, and he knew it. I closed my eyes and focused, ignoring him and the fear in my heart. I cried out as I felt the sharp blade cut into my left arm, and lost my footing.

Earth.

Leaves.

The human lands.

I smiled weakely. I had done it, we were back in the clearing. I looked around and saw Sakurazuka Seishirou battling shadows not far away, smiling confidently, pale pink petal blossoms flying around him. A soft laugh resounded beside me.

"This won't change anything Siodhachan..."

I stood and faced him. He shook his head.

"The end was written as you entered the burial ground..."

He lifted his sword.

"This battle is useless. I have no wish to harm you my dear sister. I love you. Why don't you put your blade down and join me ?"

He walked slowly towards me and I stepped back.

"Siodhachan. Siodhachan. Siodhachan..."

The Call.

My Name.

Three times.

I dropped the blade and put my hands on my ears, desperately shaking my head, crying :

"No !"

He chuckled.

"That's futile, and you know it full well. Now come to me sister. Come..."

I looked at him, fighting with all my will the imperious need to obey.

"No... No I will not let you have me, drow... You... You are not Bainlinn anymore... My brother is dead... He is gone... And I will fight you, as long as there is the spark of life in my body, I will fight the darkness..."

He whispered softly :

"And whose fault is it if I 'died' as you say ? Whose fault is it sister ?"

I looked at him helplessly.

"I looked for you around the battlefield. I thought you lost, then I saw you. I ran, but arrows struck me down. I called you, but you left me there. You mounted Meara and left, you abandoned me..."

I hugged myself, feeling tears burning my eyes and bowed my head.

"I... Didn't... Didn't hear you... I didn't..."

Oh my brother... I...

Dimly, I heard him bending towards me and I managed to force my fingers to close on the hilt of my sword. He said gently :

"Look at me Siodhachan. Look at me, sister..."

I obeyed, and lost myself in his deep emerald eyes.

"I am Bainlinn, no matter what you believe, I am still your brother. And I forgive you... Come to me Siodhachan, join me..."

He embraced the forest around us in a broad move of his left arm, smiling sadly.

"Can't you see ? The forest is dying. The humans are having their way. You yourself weaken. Eald is dying, and you know it. You stayed in Faery, you refused to go to the human side of Eald, because you were afraid to see Death gaining over your forest. Alone, there is nothing you can do. It is hopeless. You must be so tired after giving your own self to this land during all those endless years..."

He smiled gently, reaching out to me.

"You must have been so lonely... Come my sister, come to me. Let's be together once again, let me help you. You and I, we shall free this land of the human vermin. Come to me. Siodhachan. Siodhachan. Siodhachan..."

Eald... Dying...

Death... Rotten trees...

Hope... Dead...

Dreams... Shattered.

Pain... So great.

Sorrow...

I cannot... Go on.

I slowly held out my left hand to him, lost. Unable to fight him any longer. Drowning in pain and despair.

Close your heart lady Siodhachan...

I froze.

A presence, so cold.

Emotionless.

Unfeeling.

Uncaring.

Hard.

Focused on a goal.

I couldn't help listening, I couldn't help...

Do not let him win. He is nothing, a shadow, a memory in your soul. Nothing more. He died a long time ago. Hold on to me my lady. Hear my Call. Siodhachan. Siodhachan. Siodhachan...

I shuddered. Feeling the Hunter's cold passion fill my heart. Feeling ice encase my soul. Feeling anger and fury reach me. Feeling Sakurazuka Seishirou holding my Dreamstone and Calling my Name, and freeing me from the drow's hold. I lifted my head.

Free.

Free !

My fingers squeezed the hilt of the silver sword, and I stood and struck at the same time, tears running down my cheeks, fury and sorrow raging in my heart. The dark sword shattered under the impact, and my blade plunged in the young human's right flank. At the last time, I remembered to stop the blow and spare his life. I looked in the emerald eyes and said in a voice made hollow by anger :

"Go back where you belong, drow. Free this human's body or you will accompany it in death. I am sure Lord Death would be delighted to have one who was once Daoine Sidhe under his dominion..."

A spark of hesitation appeared in his eyes during a second, and suddenly, the young man shuddered and fell on me, while a shadow freed itself from him.

Drow.

Bainlinn.

Before I could move, Sakurazuka Seishirou hurled his silver sword, which ran through the shadow of the one who had been my brother once. A deep cry resounded in the air, and suddenly the shadow disappeared, as well as any feeling of threat. The silver sword fell upon the earth.

Bainlinn's sword.

I chased the sorrow away, and gently turned the young man on his back.

He was alive. I could feel his heart beating slowly. He was still unconscious, but he would heal. I felt a smile on my lips, and softly brushed a stray lock of hair away from his face. I reached out and carefully lifted his head, leaning it against my shoulder. I heard steps, and looked up.

"Leave him to me now my lady. I will take care of him."

There was something strange in Salurazuka Seishirou's eyes, but I ignored it, saying :

"He is my responsability. I am the Guardian of this place. He came here because I was careless, what happened is my fault. And I owe him. I will heal him, and then you both can go."

Sakurazuka Seishirou shook his head.

"It won't be necessary my lady. I shall care for him as I told you. He is mine. Now give him to me."

I tensed.

The light in his eyes...

The desire...

The Hunter... The Hunter's lust for...

I shivered.

His prey.

I stared at him steadily, and nodded.

"I understand..."

I smiled self-deprecatingly.

"I assumed your companion was your mate, and you didn't gainsay me... But in truth he is your prey. It is his life you want..."

I shook my head.

"I do not care for human life. What you do is not my concern. But I have a debt towards this young man. I owe him to heal him, and I shall not let you harm him. Now give me my Dreamstone and go."

Sakurazuka Seishirou kneeled beside me, smiling.

"You have a quick mind my lady. Your only failing is your pride which makes you inattentive to things you judge beneath you..."

He held the stone out to me and I took it, smiling back.

"You may well be right. I thank you. For this, and for your help..."

As I expected, he made his move, trying to grab the unconscious young man. My fingers closed on his arm and I said softly :

"You see, I am applying myself not to ignore you anymore..."

A cloud of pink petals blinded me all of a sudden, and in a flash I knew the time I would need to free myself would allow him to take what he wanted. So I gathered my power and willed the young man away, where he would be safe. The petals disappeared as suddenly as they had appeared, and the Hunter swore.

"Damn it !..."

He turned towards me, his eyes narrowed. Anger flaring.

"What have you done lady ? Where is he ?"

I shrugged. I couldn't feel the young man's presence anymore. I had wanted to send him to Eald, but something had happened. Something I didn't understand, but nothing that would be harmful to him. I faced the Hunter calmly.

"I have removed him from this place..."

I shook my head.

"If the Hunter had known patience, this wouldn't have happened. You knew I couldn't ignore my debt..."

I sighed.

"But the Hunter's desire burns too fiercely, doesn't it ? It is devouring your soul... If it hasn't done so already..."

I faced his unwavering eyes.

"I am going to leave this forsaken ground and go back where I belong. I'd advise you to do the same..."

I made to stand, but his arms closed on me, holding me harshly. Too surprised to react, I looked at him. He was smiling softly.

"You had no right to deprive me of my prey, lady Siodhachan..."

I fixed him.

"I owe you nothing Sakurazukamori. You helped me and I helped you. We saved each other's lives, so there is no debt between us. I had one towards the young man you call Subaru-kun, I had to protect him."

The fingers of his left hand stroked my face in a tender caress.

"Your code is not my concern lady. You stole my prey. And for this you will pay the price..."

Suddenly, he bent over me and his lips brushed mine. Before I could move, he kissed the left side of my neck, and I felt the deep coldness of a spell closing around me. A powerful spell.

Trapped.

He freed me, whispering in my ear :

"A life for a life my sweet lady..."

He looked at me longingly.

"You are my prey now."

I looked at him uncomprehendingly.

Did he expect me to run ? Did he expect me to be terrified by his statement ?

I stood slowly, and laughed at him.

"Sakurazuka Seishirou, I am no mortal's prey. Because we fought side by side, I will forget your words and your touch. Do not step into Eald again. If you do, I shall not be as forgiving as I have been..."

I turned on the right, calling :

"Meara !"

The gentle mare appeared beside me and I rode her.

"The hunt has not yet begun my lady. You will not escape me."

I looked at him and smiled coldly.

"Won't I ? You said I am proud, but your own pride will be the end of you one day Sakurazukamori. If I were you, I would be wary of making one of the Daoine Sidhe my enemy..."

I sighed.

"I warned you more than fairly. The way out of the burial ground is free. Once you are out, it will close forever. If you want to die, come to Eald."

I released Meara, and we left this cursed land, getting into Faery.

End of Part 2.


On to Next Part.
Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.