[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


The Tree of Blood and Hope - Part 3 : The Guardian

A Tokyo Babylon x Eald Wood Novels fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





I bent down to brush the petals of a primrose with my fingers, and smiled at the beautiful flower. Spring brought back life to the human side of the forest. I stood and looked around me, unable to chase the coldness in my heart. Even the fresh green colours of the new leaves couldn't hide the ever rising number of dead trees.

Eald...

Am I not strong enough ?

Was the forest dying ? Had Bailinn been right in saying the humans would eventually win and destroy this last pitiful part of what had been the Daoine Sidhe's domain ? I sighed. What could I do ? What else could I do than touring the land and love it, give it my life and my hope ?

Are my dreams futile ?

I shook myself off of the melancoly, and resumed my walk. Thinking about this wouldn't help. Being obsessed by it would only weaken me. I shook my head and smiled, watching the rays of sunlight piercing through a canopy of young leaves. I had to go on, and take the days one after the other. I raised my right hand to my brow, to protect my eyes from the strong light.

Hope is all I have.

I walked away.

And I shan't give it up.




Everything seemed quiet and peaceful, which suited me. I would soon be free to go back to Faery. I had only one last thing to do. Reluctantly, I moved to the edge of Eald, and looked beyond. Looked at the fields and the land humans had claimed. It wouldn't be long before they tried to touch the forest. I had let them be, but...

I will protect Eald. They will not reach it.

I had seen enough. It was high time I went back to the heart of my woods. I made to turn around, and suddenly saw a bright reflection on my left. Intrigued, I walked towards it, and suddenly froze.

Leaned against the trunk of a beautiful oak tree was a shining silver blade.

Bainlinn's sword.

I looked at it during a long time, and then took it carefully. I held it in my hands and looked at it, smiling wistfully. At last, I turned around, whispering :

"Well... At least you are gracious, hunter. My thanks to you."

I had spent too much time on this side of Eald. I quickly moved into the shadows of the trees, and stepped into Faery.




I gently hung the sword on its branch of the Tree, and tried not to hear the words of my brother echoing in my mind.

I called you, but you left me there...

I bowed my head.

You abandonned me.

I gritted my teeth. To dwell on my memories wouldn't change the past. He was no more. His soul consumed by the darkness. Because of me, because I had failed him. I shook my head.

I shan't forgive myself, my brother.

My right hand closed on the sword and squeezed. I looked at the blood staining the blade.

I shan't forget you.

Suddenly, I shivered, and turned around. Something had intruded in my sorrow. I looked around the clearing, but everything seemed peaceful. There was a slight breeze rustling the leaves, but nothing was amiss. As if Eald had felt a threat that had disappeared right after brushing its edges.

Strange...

Reflexively, my hand closed around my Dreamstone and I closed my eyes, focusing on what I had felt a moment earlier.

Nothing...

Or... So faint...

Cold.

My hands clutched the stone hanging on my chest and I smiled bitterly. I shrugged, whispering :

"If such is your choice... So be it."

I looked at my own sword hanging from one of the Tree's branches, but declined to take it. Resolutely, I stepped back into human lands.




The trees were all dead. Only death remained in the forest.

Burnt.

There is nothing left.

I looked around, refusing to acknowledge what I was feeling, refusing to let the sight I was beholding reach my heart. I walked slowly, unheeding of the sound of my steps on the ashes of the forest. Uncomprehending.

I should have felt this...

Suddenly, I laughed wildly.

Of course !

I felt a feral smile coming to my lips. This would not go unpunished. I focused my will, and savagely broke the spell, tearing the veil of illusion.

I smiled gently at the grass under my feet and the trees around me. At the woods full of life. I shook my head, angry with myself for having been caught, if only during a few seconds. It was humiliating. I said in a soft voice :

"Show yourself hunter. I am in no mood for your despicable games."

A short laugh resounded on my left, and Sakurazuka Seishirou detached himself from the protective barrier of the trees, coming into the clearing.

"Is that so my lady ? It seemed to me that you were quite taken by it on the contrary..."

I looked on him with disdain.

"Before I cleanse my land of your presence, tell me how you managed to come here unscathed."

He smiled softly.

"You helped me lady. You took me here."

I looked at him during a few seconds, then nodded.

"My brother's sword."

He stepped closer.

"Yes. You and I shared something very deep when you gave me your Dreamstone. I touched your soul. I know you my lady, I know you very well. I left the silver blade for you to find, and when you took it, I followed you, focusing on you, cloaking myself in your being..."

He came to me, and his right hand brushed my cheek.

"As far as your forest is concerned, I am you, and it will neither attack me, nor defend itself..."

Suddenly, he took something out of a pocket, and I saw with horror a bright flame coming from the object.

"Even if I do this."

There was a resounding clash as my right hand slapped him violently. I stepped back, trying to control the storm of feelings raging in my heart. This... It was more than anyone had ever dared. Even the drow. I looked at him, I looked at the dark, tall and handsome man absentmindedly raising a hand to his bruised cheek, and felt the old, cold anger rising inside of me. For the first time in my long life, I didn't fight it. For the first time, I let it reach me and engulf me, looking down at the disgusting creature in front of me. I smiled and said in a voice devoid of emotion :

"I am the Guardian of Eald. It is my sacred duty to protect it. For daring to threaten the forest, you shall die, human."

Gathering my power in the blink of an eye, I struck, but his shape dissolved in myriads of soft pink petals which caressed me gently. He laughed.

"Your anger and hatred blind you my lady. Never underestimate your enemy."

I froze as I felt something touching the heart of Eald, and smiled as I understood. I turned slowly to face him and answered :

"I see no reason not to underestimate a lowly thief like you Sakurazukamori. You are a fool."

He was holding my brother's sword in his right hand. As if that could give him power over me. He was not the blade's true owner. I walked calmly towards him, smiling, and a look of uncertainty crossed his face. I shook my head.

"It is far too late to understand your mistake, hunter."

Suddenly, he rushed towards me, his blade held high. I kept walking, unheeding of the threat, and simply stepped aside as he reached me, my right hand brushing his sword arm. I let the power flow from me, and slam him to the ground. As he fell, something stung me, and I raised a finger to my left cheek, right below the eye. There was a warm, thick liquid running down my face. I caught some of it, and watched its crismon red colour with curiosity. Turning to see my enemy, I thoughtfully tasted the blood on my finger. My own blood. I chuckled. The warm liquid running down my face was coating it in a death mask. I looked at the pitiful human who was getting up with difficulty, and said gently :

"So, you are a man of surprises... My thanks for trying to make this entertaining, but I'm afraid that butchering humans will always remain a very tedious task..."

I stared at him steadily.

"No matter how hard you try, you will never reach our level. You will always stay what you are. I pity you. I have had enough of this little game. The moon will soon rise in Faery, and it is a spectacle I do not want to miss..."

I smiled at him.

"So let us end this. Sakurazuka Seishirou."

I saw a light of fear in his eyes.

"Sakurazuka Seishirou. Sakurazuka Seishirou..."

He tried to step back, but I whispered softly :

"I Call you. Stay..."

He froze, a look of disbelief on his face. I shook my head.

"Didn't I tell you you were a fool, hunter ?"

I reached out to him, brushing a lock of hair away.

"Why didn't you use the Name I have given you ?"

He smiled bitterly.

"Because I gave you my word I wouldn't use it against you, lady Siodhachan."

I cocked my head to the side.

"Honor, Sakurazukamori ?..."

I stepped back.

"Or were you seeking your own death, coming here ? No matter, the end will be quick..."

Suddenly, I saw him move, and at the same time heard a chant in the air.

It cannot be !

A cloud of delicate petals envelopped me, and I saw the arc of the silver blade coming down towards me. Instinctively, I moved to avoid it, desperately pushing aside the spell at the same time.

I fell on my knees.

Time stopped.

Pain.

In my heart.

So strong...

My fingers clutched the Dreamstone.

What... Happened ?

Slowly, something fell down in my open left hand.

A leaf...

Dead...

My heart skipped a beat.

No...

The sound of the breeze in the trees had changed in a subtle way. Leaves began to fall around me, ever so slowly, like the snow in Winter. I got up, and turned towards the Tree that was the Heart and Soul of Eald, ignoring my enemy's close presence. I whispered :

"No..."

I could feel Sakurazuka Seishirou's spell. It hadn't touched me, I had avoided it, and it had struck the great Tree. And the Tree was dying. I watched helplessly as its leaves covered the ground around us. Young fresh green leaves. So full of life...

So full of life...

I suddenly felt tears burning my eyes and running down my cheeks, mixing with the blood. The Tree which bore the memories and dreams of my people fell. The Tree which bore their soul, which it was my duty to guard was dead. I cried :

"NOOOOOO !"

I looked at what had been my sole reason for living during such a long time, and slowly took off my Dreamstone. Suddenly, Sakurazuka Seishirou's voice broke through the deep silence :

"What are you doing lady ?"

I stared at him and smiled, holding out the Dreamstone to him.

"Be happy hunter, you win. The last part of the Daoine Sidhe's heart is gone now. The land is yours, human. Yours, and the Darkness's. May it enslave you for all eternity."

The dreamstone fell from my hand, and I turned aside, walking away and stepping into Faery.

The Sea is calling me.

As I was about to fade from this world forever, a voice reached me.

"No ! Don't go ! Siodhachan ! Siodhachan, Siodhachan ! Hear me ! Come back !"

Cold fingers...

Closing around my soul...

Someone...

Beside me, inside my heart...

Unwillingly, I stopped, and faced him. His face was unreadable. I shook my head, asking :

"What right have you to prevent me, Sakurazuka Seishirou ?"

I cried :

"What right have you ?!"

Very gently, he reached out to me and his fingers wiped my tears. I did not react, engulfed in sorrow and despair. He suddenly took me in his arms and hugged me tight, whispering :

"I never meant for this to happen..."

His fingers stroked my hair.

"I never meant to harm Eald..."

He made me face him. He was deadly serious.

"I owe you Siodhachan. I owe you, and I intend to pay this debt now. Please, trust me..."

His fingers stroked my face.

"Trust me with your life. It will not be said that I am responsible for freeing Darkness on this world. I may be Sakurazukamori, but I am no friend, no ally of the Darkness. You cannot leave this land, or it will be lost. I know this to be true, you and I were one when I held your Stone..."

His hands took mine, and suddenly I felt the Dreamstone inside my palms, and his hands on mine, softly hugging. He closed his eyes, focusing his powers, and chanted a spell in the silence. Cuts opened in his hands and mine, blood flowed, covering the Stone, and suddenly I felt my power answering to his call. A whisper reached my mind.

Trust me.

I smiled.

My life is useless to me now, so take it if you wish.

A blinding white light eclipsed the clearing around us.




The Tree was gone. Gently, he realeased me, and I looked between us. The blood had stopped running, and the earth had swallowed it all. There was no more trace of it. Suddenly, a small seedling pierced through the earth and opened two leaves, reaching out for the sunlight. I looked at it wonderingly, feeling... I looked up at Sakurazuka Seishirou. He was smiling. I whispered :

"Is it true ? Is it true ?..."

He nodded slowly. I felt tears in my eyes again. Tears of joy.

"Seishirou..."

His forefinger gently touched my lips, silencing me. He said softly :

"I simply paid a part of my debt Siodhachan, nothing more. For now, I shall forbear hunting you. Although you are and always shall be my prey, you are safe..."

He kissed me deeply.

"I swear to you, nothing will ever touch this young Tree. No harm shall ever befall it. I shall guard it, all Sakurazukamori shall protect it, until the End of Time..."

Suddenly, his shape faded, and disappeared.

"Farewell, Siodhachan..."

Ghostly lips kissed my neck, where I bore his mark, and abruptly his presence vanished. I stood up slowly, wondering. Had he been taken back to the place he had called Tokyo ? Oddly, I found myself hoping he was safe. I smiled at the empty air, and stepped back into Faery, where I would be better able to tend to the new Tree.




Spring was coming. I smiled. Had it been a day or years since the one called himself Sakurazukamori had disappeared ?

Seishirou...

Time mattered little to me. I would remember him long after humanity was gone. In a way, he would live forever. Suddenly, I noticed something on the young Tree and laughed delightedly. It was so healthy, so alive... Eald was reviving, Death had withdrawn... I walked to it.

Blossoms...

I stopped in front of it, watching the flower slowly opening, impatient.

No...

Oh no...

I stepped back. The wind carried away a few petals which landed in my hands.

Pink petals...

I shivered.

Born out of our blood...

The Sakura.

I looked at the beautiful Tree, and remembered Sakurazuka Seishirou. Slowly, I fell on my knees, my eyes still fixed on the Tree, my hands full of the beautiful blossoms.

End of Part 3.


On to Next Part.
Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.