[ Watashi ] [ Tomodachi ] [ Saint Seiya ] [ Clamp ] [ Fanfiction ]


Toys in the Palm of God - Part 6

A Rg Veda x X fanfiction by Ariane Kovacevic, AKA Fuu-chan.





The day was dawning. I sighed, turning from the window and going back to the bed. I sat down beside Kujaku's sleeping form and kept the saber on my lap. Gently, I traced the outlines of Kujaku's face with my fringertips. Gods, he was so beautiful. He looked so peaceful, I... I smiled, unable to help myself. I loved him. More than life itself. He moved, stretching slowly, like a great sleepy cat and opened his eyes.

"Good morning my lord..."

it took him a few seconds to focus on me, and he shook his head, yawning widely.

"Oh my... I'm so sleepy, I..."

He looked at me reproachfully.

"You gave me the..."

I nodded.

"Yes, I gave you the drink you had intended for me. So you were the one who won a good night's sleep..."

I bowed my head.

"Forgive me, but... I just couldn't escape my memories so easily. It wouldn't have changed anything."

He sat up slowly, still impaired by the effects of the sleeping pill, and I thought to myself he hadn't chosen the lightest sleep inducer. He stroked my hair softly, smiling self-deprecatingly.

"Well, I can't say I'm not vexed at having been tricked so simply, but... Are you feeling better ? Did this night bring you some peace ?"

I shrugged.

"I don't know..."

I looked down at the magnificient weapon on my lap.

"But the feelings do not tear my soul apart anymore. The memories hurt me, a lot, but I can live with them. It's not easy, but I can..."

His eyes followed mine, and he held me close, tensing.

"Fiona... What is that ?"

I looked at him steadily.

"That is a gift from Steve, his way to tell us he's on our side..."

I sighed, remembering his desperate wish to be understood and forgiven, remembering how the feeling of having betrayed me hurt him...

"He came to the stables last night while I was there. He... Helped me deal with my feelings and gave me the sword..."

I looked away, and Kujaku gently made me face him again.

"And what Fiona ?"

I closed my eyes, shivering.

The jewels's burning light merging with my soul's... A searing pain...

"I don't know. He... Did something to the jewels... He said it was to help me, to protect me... His feelings... He was sincere, he was desperate that I believe him, he..."

Kujaku held me close, kissing me softly.

"Hush love... It's okay... Next time we see him, he and I shall have a small discussion."

My hands closed on Kujaku's arms.

"No. No, I believe him. I... I don't think he's our enemy..."

I bowed my head.

"He asked for my forgiveness, and I denied him. He left, but he said he'd help us when needed. He said he was willing to give his life for this world, and he's sincere... I think he's doing what he thinks best, it's just... I don't understand..."

He sighed.

"Okay, I'll yield to your feelings love..."

His lips tenderly brushed my brow.

"But he'll still have some explaining to do when next we meet..."

I smiled.

"I wouldn't mind that myself..."

I got up.

"So, while you get your lazy self out of this bed and all, I'll go try that saber he gave me. I'll be outside."

He tried to grab me, but I danced away, laughing.

"Lazy ? I ? Oh you..."

I winked and went out of the room.




I paused, wiping a drop of sweat off my brow. I smiled, breathing the fresh morning air and listening to the birds singing. this blade was really wondrous. Perfectly balanced. I opened my eyes and fixed the trees in front of me. I had had to come to this little clearing, since the training field was occupied by one of the local riders. Sword training was not compatible with showjumping training. At all. I chuckled, shaking my head. There was a dull ache in my neck and my back, my arms hurt and I was exhausted, but it felt right. I had stayed too long without training. I needed it, it helped me regain focus. I concentrated again and started another sequence of figures.

I moved aside, breaking the move, and cursed softly. Angrily, I shut out my fear, looking at the cherry blossom petal the wind had carried towards me from the tree on the other side of the clearing. Hell, I was stupid. I shook my head. Suddenly, I tensed and moved, whirling around. The blade made a shining arc in the air and cut neately another petal. I caught the two halves in my left hand and chuckled. I was really a fool. I let the small things be carried away by the breeze and got a good grip on the hilt of my blade, intent on completing the exercice correctly.

"A very beautiful move my lady..."

I froze. The soft whisper was coming from every direction at once. The wind rose up all of a sudden, sending myriads of cheery blossoms petals towards me. I winced, but I couldn't avoid them. There were far too many of them. I backed away, fear roving in my heart.

"You really are someone special..."

He chuckled, and suddenly my terror was covered by anger.

Dragon ravaging.

Dragon tearing.

Dragon rushing down on the tall skyscraper.

Dragon killing.

I shook my head. Hell, he was not going to have his way that easy. No way. I brought back the images, the sounds and the feelings of all the death and pain he had caused. He was a monster. My hands closed on the hilt of the saber. I breathed deeply. I didn't stand a chance, I knew that, just as I knew that my anger wouldn't be strong enough to prevent fear from taking hold of me for long. But I had to do something. I closed my eyes and focused on what was around me, trying to feel. For the first time trying to use this gift I had been cursed with.

Emptiness.

Determination.

Amusement.

Hunger.

Thirst.

There. With all the strength I had, I hurled the saber on my left, and threw myself forward at the same time.

"Damn..."

I heard the weapon reaching its goal and ran, ran, unheeding of the frantic beatings of my heart or of the air burning in my lungs.

A station. A train station. I stopped and looked around. Gods, I had run all the way to this place. My heart sank. I had taken the wrong direction, I couldn't return to the training center, I...

Cherry blossom petals...

I looked at them, paralyzed, terrified. He... I heard the sound of a train stopping and ran to it, throwing myself in as the doors were shutting. Gods... I shuddered, leaning heavily on a pole. Dread wouldn't leave my heart. I looked around. There were a few other people in the coach, and they were watching me warily. I walked to the window and tried to focus on the moving landscape. Hell, I felt trapped. I didn't know what to do, but at least I could be reasonably certain he hadn't been able to get in...

Laughter. Silent.

I hugged myself, trying desperately to shut down the perception. Oh sweet goddess... No... No I didn't want that ! I wanted out ! I felt tears on my cheeks and sat down on one of the empty seats, my eyes focusing on my shoes. Out of habit, I wiped my tears. He wouldn't do anything here. Not with witnesses. He wouldn't dare. I had to believe that. I had to.

Terminus. The train wasn't going further. I got up abruptly and ran out, ignoring the petal which brushed against my right cheek.

"Hey !"

Arms caught me gently as I was falling on the ground and I belatedly realised I han run into someone. I looked up and saw a handsome man watching me, smiling, his short blonde hair flying with the wind. I blushed.

"I'm sorry, forgive me..."

He shook his head.

"Don't worry..."

He looked at me carefully.

"And you, miss... Are you okay ?"

Suddenly, I felt an overwhelming urge to laugh. I shuddered. The young man's hands closed on my shoulders, and he asked seriously, concern in his beautiful blue eyes :

"What is going on ? Miss, something's wrong, I can tell... Can I help you in any way ?"

I leaned on him, unable to control my fear any longer, shaking. He was gentle, strong. I whispered :

"My name is Fiona Watson. There's... a man pursuing me..."

He smiled cheerfully.

"Well, we'll settle that. No one can say that Yuuto Kigai ever abandoned a damsel in distress. Come with me miss Fiona, I don't work far from here. From my office you'll be able to call the police or anyone you want."

Before I could protest, his right hand took mine and he drew me forward, running. For a moment, I considered telling him to let go of me, but... I needed help. He felt safe. I ran along with him.

This place... I knew it... Yes, the government building ! I stopped, asking him :

"You... You work in there ?"

He chuckled.

"Sure. But don't worry, I'm only a simple civil servant."

We got in, and entered the nearest lift.

I leaned against one of the lift walls, closing my eyes, trying to relax.

"Hey, are you sure you're all right ?"

I smiled.

"I will be, thanks to you Kigai-san."

The lift moved. Down.

"You can call me Yuuto, miss Fiona..."

Why down ? Well of course there had to be offices below the ground level. Sure. It was bound to be hard always working without the sunlight...

Satisfaction.

Amusement.

Contentment at having caught the prey so easily.

Beautiful shining Dragon laughing.

I tensed inwardly. No. Terror gripped my heart, preventing me from thinking coherently. I was trapped. They had led me here. Herded me. Like game. No. I fought the scream in my throat, and cursed myself. Shit. Damn it, Damn it to all the hells. I had to focus on something, anything but my fear. I had to get my foolish self out of this. Anger. Yes. Self-despise. That too. Curse them, the prey didn't intend to play along any longer. I ignored the feeling of ice running in my veins as the lift stopped. The door opened and I went out first. As I reached the threshold, I turned towards the handsome young man, smiling.

"I am not the fool you think me Yuuto-san..."

I pushed on the close button and a random floor number at the same time and ran, frantically looking for the emergency exit.

None.

Stairs... There had to be stairs going up. There had to be. I heard the lift door opening again, and chose a door, going wildly to it.

I stopped, listening to the echoes of my steps. Hell. There was no way out, it was worse than a labyrinth. And it was so dark in here, so...

"So kind of you to come here my lady..."

Before I could move, he caught me from behind, paralyzing me. He chuckled soflty and I shivered as I felt his warm breath on my neck. Fear blinded me during an instant, and suddenly I saw two other people in the room. Light illuminated the place and I winced, trying to fight the hold Sakurazukamori had on me, and failing miserably.

Yuuto Kigai and a girl.

He didn't look very happy. The girl laughed at him.

"Well my dear Yuuto it would seem you're not such an expert seducer after all !"

Suddenly, she looked at me and smirked.

"Moreover, that thing isn't what we were looking for. It doesn't have pointed ears now... Does it ?"

Ashura. They were after Ashura.

Chaos. "Once awoken, Destruction can never be set aside..." The Prophecy. They... They knew !

The girl grimaced.

"We're losing precious time. Kill her, be done with it. We have better things to do..."

I looked at the young girl with the short pony tail, I looked at her eyes behind the glasses and searched for a trace of humanity. Finding none. Suddenly, a door opened and a woman entered the room, saying :

"No..."

Beautiful, in a dark sort of way, sensual... She had a third eye pinted on her brow, and I wondered, thinking about Kujaku. She looked at me, smiling sweetly.

"Welcome, Fiona Watson. I am Kanoe. Welcome, Keeper of the Seals of Chaos."

I said in a tight voice :

"I don't know what you're talking about. You had better release me, people have seen me come in here..."

Yuuto Kigai chuckled.

"You're so cute. No one will ever question what happens here."

Kanoe looked at him.

"Enough Yuuto, we have no time for play..."

She turned back to me.

"Where are the Seals ?"

Suddenly, Skurazukamori's hand closed on my left wrist and I cried out.

Pain. Devouring.

His hand left my wrist, and I realised he was holding me up. Without his support I'd have fallen on the floor. He whispered to me :

"Will you show them my lady, or must I do it myself ?"

My eyes focused on the ceiling and I said :

"Go to hell."

I bit my lower lip as his hand tore at my sleeve, squeezing on the wrist, and unmade the bandages. My vision dimmed, and I tasted blood in my mouth. Damn it. I wouldn't cry, I wouldn't give him that pleasure. Gently, he brought my left hand to his lips and softly kissed my wrist. Tears filled my eyes and began to run down my cheeks. I trembled feverishly, and moaned, unable to keep the pain inside any longer.

"It's over my lady... Come back to us, we still have need of you..."

I suddenly realised he had let go of my left arm. I leaned against him, at the end of my strength. His lips brushed the sides of my neck, almost tenderly and I didn't move. I didn't react. As he had said, it was over. They had won. The world would die.

"Now my lady, give us the Seals if you want to live."

I laughed.

"You are mad. Once awoken, Destruction can never be set aside. Never. You will destroy this world... I'll never give them to you."

His fingers closed on my wrist.

"As you wish."

Flames engulfed my soul and I cried.

"No ! Stop !"

Dimly, I saw Kanoe coming towards us.

"If she dies, we'll never have the Seals. They're tied to her soul."

My right arm was twisted harshly behind my back and I moaned.

"How can that be ? The Dream said..."

Kanoe shook her head.

"My dear sister's Dream has changed. Something has been done to this girl, tying her indissociably to the Seals. She is in truth a living Seal herself. And the only way we can break the Seals she keeps, is for her to release them to us."

The other girl sighed.

"A waste of time. It's very likely we won't need to break those Seals anyway. We don't need to bother taking them from her."

I bowed my head. Steve. It... It was what he had done last night. He had done this... For protection he had said... But then had he known ? Known and not warned me ? No... No I couldn't believe that. I couldn't. And I had no time to worry about that either. I had to find a way to free myself. They were arguing on the best course of action, and not paying too much attention to me. Even Sakurazukamori's hold on me had slightly relaxed. Of course, I was still leaning against him, he had to think me unable to stand alone, weakened by the pain. Hell he was wrong. No time to hesitate. I closed my eyes and focused my strength in one point, elbowing him. His hold broke surprisingly easily, and I distinctly heard his sharp intake of breath. I pushed Kanoe aside.

"Stop !"

I hurled the door shut, and ran.

Stairs.

A weak smile came to my lips. The way out. I began climbing.

A noise. I stopped. Hell, it seemed to me an eternity since I had begun climbing those stairs. I opened a door cautiously.

Nothing.

I closed the door and began walking in the long corridor, trying to determine the level on which I was.

Light.

The outside. I was free ! I ran happily towards the door.

Cherry blossom petals, carried by a gentle breeze.

I stopped. The light disappeared.

"You are very naive my lady, aren't you ?"

I felt weak. I wanted to fall down on my knees, I wanted to close my eyes and wake up. I wanted... A weapon. Something to defend myself with. He chuckled.

"You wish to fight me my lady ? Then let me fulfill your wish."

A sword appeared out of thin air... The saber Steve had given me... My hand closed on the hilt and I turned, facing my enemy.

I couldn't wait for him to make the first move, the others could come here any time. He knew that. Cursing under my breath, I ran towards him. He didn't move. I struck, and suddenly his shape dissolved into cherry blossom petals. He laughed. Savagely, he grabbed my right wrist and wrenched the blade from my grasp. I heard the distinct crack of bone breaking and cried out. He turned me around to face him, and struck at my chest, chanting at the same time. Myriads of crystal shards, razorsharp, hit me from all sides, and I was savagely hurled back against a wall.

The shock as my body hit the metal was so strong that I couldn't cry as the crystal shards nailed me to the wall, pirecing through my left flank, my shoulder and my hand. I shivered. I was so cold. So cold... The pain seemed very far away, the only heat came from the blood running on my body. The sound of foosteps, strangely deformed, made me focus on what was in front of me.

Sakurazukamori.

Distantly, I noticed he had a small wound on his own flank. He stopped beside me, and stroked my face with the back of his right hand, whispering :

"Now you understand my lady Fiona... Fighting me is useless. You surprised me once..."

He smiled fondly.

"You will never do so again..."

His hand cupped my chin.

"Now give me the Seals. Give them to me and I shall protect you from the others."

I looked at his eyes.

"Why... Why would you bother ?"

He chuckled.

"Because you are mine..."

He kissed me softly.

"And because I don't enjoy abused meat."

Hunger.

Amusement.

Thirst.

Desire.

I shuddered, trying to shut out the feelings, but he said gently :

"Shields are useless against me lady Fiona. Nothing can protect you, nothing."

The crystal wall around my soul had shattered. He kissed me again, demanding, and I shivered. It would have been so easy to let go, to yield to him, to let him... I whispered :

"Why ? Why are you doing this ? Why me ?"

His lips brushed my tears.

"Because you are special, as Subaru-kun is special. You are my preys, the ones I chose for myself, without any other reason. You are mine..."

His hand rested on my left temple.

A park in Spring. The cherry trees are blooming, it is so beautiful... I laugh happily, trying to catch the white petals. My best friend runs with me, trying to catch more and we decide to make a competition. Finally, we rejoin mother under the most beautiful of the cherry trees. We count the blossoms and I laugh again : I have won. I offer the flowers to mother, who smiles soflty.

"Thank you Sei-chan, they're beautiful..."

She looks carefully at the flowers, then asks me :

"Tell me, don't you think pink blossoms are more beautiful than white ?"

I nod.

"Yes..."

I look at the gentle eyes of my mother.

"I wish I could make the flowers pink for you mother... I love you..."

She strokes my face soflty.

"I know little one... And soon you will know how to make wonderful pink blossoms. I promise you."

There is something warm in my heart. Mother is happy, I know she is. I can feel it. I always want her to be happy. So I ask :

"Will you show me please ?"

She looks at me a long time, serious, then smiles.

"Why, yes, I think the time has come..."

She turns to my friend.

"Minako, come here dear..."

Now what does Minako have to do with this ? Oh well. My friend kneels down beside mother. Oh bother, she is in the way, I can't see what mother is doing. I'll tell her to move aside a bit, I... Suddenly, she falls backwards, and I catch her in my arms.

Blood. Red. Bright. Flowing.

Minako...

So much blood...

My arms are too weak to support her and she falls. The blood runs on the ground, and is swallowed by the earth. This... Is not happening. Someone gently helps me up. I can smell mother's sweet scent beside me. I look down at Minako, I look down at the blood being sucked by the soil. Suddenly, the breeze sends me cherry blossom petals. Pink. Beautiful. I feel my body shaking and mother's arms embrace me softly.

"Hush little one..."

Her right hand takes one of the petals from my hands.

"So you see Seishirou... My dear son... What can turn the flowers to this beautiful shade of pink is... Death."

Oh gods... Gods, he... My heart ached for him, ached for the child in the park. My eyes were lost in his. I whispered :

"Sei... Seishirou-san... You..."

He asked me gently :

"Now do you understand ?..."

I nodded woodenly, and he smiled.

"Good..."

He kissed me deeply and I yielded, closing my eyes, seeing the young beautiful child gathering cherry blossom petals in the park. The tears of a child... He ended the kiss gently and asked :

"Now my lady Fiona, give me the Seals."

He was filling my vision, I could see only him, I could feel only him, he was the only person in my mind...

"Fiona !"

My heart skipped a beat.

Kujaku.

It was his voice.

I tensed, and pulled away from the wall, unheeding of the horrible pain in my flank, my shoulder and my hand as the crystal teared the flesh. Sakurazukamori backed away, watching me. I ignored him and turned on the right. Kujaku... I fell down on my knees, shaking feverishly, and Sakurazukamori faced the man I loved, annoyance clear in his voice.

"It is the second time you thwart me. And the last."

Kujaku smiled pleasantly.

"Is that so ?"

Suddenly, his black wings unfolded and his third eye opened.

"I am Kujaku, the last of the Seers of Tenkai, and you..."

He had a feral smile.

"Are dead."

Sakurazukamori laughed, as if he found this outrageously funny. He began a chant, and suddenly someone yelled :

"We don't have time for this. If his friends arrive we are lost !"

Suddenly, there was someone beside me, gathering me cautiously in his arms. I whispered :

"Steve...?..."

He nodded, and at the same time, I heard Yasha's voice :

"Yama Tenroken !"

Suddenly, I found myself beside Kujaku and the others. Ashura hurled a ball of flame towards the place where I had been... Where Sakurazukamori was.

"Forgive me Fiona..."

There were tears in Steve's eyes.

"Forgive me, I swear I didn't know. When I... Touched your soul... I didn't know... I would never have let you walk in such a trap. I simply knew that you had to be one with the jewels for us to have a chance... I promise you..."

I leaned against him.

"I know. I believe you. Don't worry."

I closed my eyes, trying unsuccessfully to stifle a moan of pain. Steve swore.

"Shit ! This is no time for a battle. Damn it Kujaku she's in pain, she needs help ! We must go !"

Kujaku turned towards us, a terrible light in his eyes. He looked at me during a long time, looked at the blood running from the wounds and eventually said in a tight voice :

"All right. But that monster will pay for what he did. One day I will make him pay."

With a visible effort, he set his anger aside and took me in his arms, very gently. Steve nodded.

"Okay, go, I will guard your back. I think I can keep him busy for a while. Use that time to get away. And not back to the training center. They know the place."

Kujaku looked at him steadily.

"I misjugded you it would seem. Thank you for her..."

He lifted me in his arms and I buried my face in his chest, holding back another cry of pain. He called towards Yasha and Ashura :

"Let's go !"

In the middle of the sound of their steps, I thought I heard Steve's voice, chanting.




"Fiona..."

A whisper in the darkness.

"Fiona... Love..."

A whisper. So soft...

"Answer me beloved, please open your eyes..."

A tender caress.

Love.

Anguish.

I tore myself from the protective cocoon of oblivion shielding my soul, and saw Kujaku's purple eyes. They were brimming with tears.

"Oh Fiona... I thought..."

We were in a park apparently. Yasha and Ashura were guarding us. It meant we were out of the government building. It meant we had won free. I remembered Sakurazukamori's touch, and felt tears slowly running down on my cheeks. I reached out painfully to Kujaku's face, and he caught my fingers in his right hand. I said :

"Forgive me... I love you... But I let him... I let him... touch me, touch my heart and my soul... I love you..."

He kissed my fingers softly, shaking his head.

"Don't worry love, I know..."

His voice became harsh.

"I can recognize rape when I see it."

I closed my eyes. Had it really been ? I didn't know anymore. Sakurazukamori, assassin, hunter... Seishirou, gentle child... Hurt, broken, changed, twisted... Sensitive... Feeling emotions so strongly... As I did, as Subaru Sumeragi did... Was there anything left of Seishirou in Sakurazukamori ? Why had he shown me that ? Only to reach my soul and make me give him the jewels ? I had almost... I whispered :

"I almost gave him the jewels, if you hadn't come... I'd have given them to him... I..."

Pain, shame and sorrow were choking me. Kujaku stroked my hair with infinite tenderness.

"Hush... Don't blame yourself. Please Fiona, don't be so hard on yourself. We love you..."

Suddenly, Ashura turned towards us.

"They're coming. We must run."

Kujaku frowned.

"But where ? We have nowhere to go..."

"Now I might have a solution for you ladies and gentlemen..."

A young man jumped down from one of the trees, chuckling. He was wearing some kind of a base-ball cap, and a sweat-shirt on which a big A was drawn. Ashura walked towards him, asking dangerously :

"Who are you ?"

He laughed.

"Hey ! Okay, okay, don't get upset ! Oh my, why don't people have a sense of humour anymore ? I'm here to help, all right ?"

Kujaku shook his head.

"Why should we trust someone who laughs at a situation like ours ?"

The young man walked to us, knelt down beside me and looked at me, smiling very gently.

"Don't worry lady. You may not be as beautiful as my Arashi, but I will not let the Minions hurt you again."

Below that cheerful and laughing face was a committment as strong as I had ever seen. Fierce determination, acceptance of Destiny, love... I asked :

"Who are you ?"

He hit his brow with his right hand.

"Oh, incredible manners, incredible manners ! I forgot ! Waaah ! I am Sorata Arisugawa, and I am the brightest of the Seven Seals..."

I felt Kujaku tensing against me. Seals ?

"Your friend couldn't stop Sakurazukamori for long at the government building, he had to escape pretty fast to save his skin..."

Then... I felt tears of relief in my eyes. Then Steve was alive.

"Hey lady don't cry ! He's okay ! He has just a few scratches, I saw him, he'll be okay. I'd have asked him to come, but he saw me and disappeared, vanished as if by magic... Anyway, I've come to take you to a safe place."

Yasha rested the edge of Yama-to against the young man's neck.

"And just where might that be ?"

The young man named Sorata Arisugawa smiled brightly.

"The Diet building. Princess Hinoto sent me."

End of Part 6.


On to Next Part.
Back to Previous Part.

Back to my Fanfic page.